We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ratp Fines

x
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ratp Fines

Hello,

Last week I was in Paris with my family. Per suggestions I purchased Navigo weekly (22.80+5 per person, for 1-5 zones, as we'll be using RER for Disneyland and CDG)

We used the card for 4 days, at the last day, at Odeon exit, a controller asked the tickets, and showed our cards, she then asked IDs, which we supplied. Then she told us to pay a fine of 35 Euros each. I asked the reason and the ID of the controller. She showed me a document in French, which I did not understand. She told me that, picture is obligatory, and we are missing it. Whatever we explained, she kept the IDs and card, and said she'll call the police, if we don't pay now.

Long story short, she tried to get 105 euros from my card, which is not validated, then tried 35+70 which is approved. When I checked the bank account, I see that all 105 and 35 and 70 euros are charged to my card. At the CDG, there was to RATP office, that I could complain about.

Now back to hometown, while checking the fine topics, I met this page

https://www.ratp.fr/en/categorie-faq/4761

I cannot see that missing picture will lead to 35 euro penalty.

Anyone knows a way to appeal that?

But this is a very bad experience, with such a crowded, thief rich experience. (Read all forums about petty theft, they are correct)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Odeon Hotel
Odeon Hotel
666 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
609 Reviews
from USD 74.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
669 Reviews
from USD 48.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,251 Reviews
from USD 103.40*
30 replies to this topic
Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ratp Fines

Yes, the missing picture will lead to a fine. In the link you gave it comes under:-

"Use of a travel pass belonging to a third party."

.... because without the photograph on your pass, it can be used by anyone and you cannot prove that the pass is yours. There is a space for a photograph on the pass. Surely you must have realised that you needed a photo?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ratp Fines

Oh no - not again!

The "missing photo" has been done to death on another thread.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ratp Fines

<<Per suggestions I purchased Navigo weekly>>

Per whose suggestion? You broke the law, you must pay the fine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ratp Fines

Here is the previous discussion just a few days ago:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g18…

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ratp Fines

Just wants the double fine appealed...

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ratp Fines

We just returned from Paris last month and I also purchased the Navigo pass. Prior to my trip I did a ton of research on this about what I it cost, where to buy, what I needed for it, etc. I guess I don't understand why in just a few days we have had people posting about the fact that they were fined because they had no picture. That to me was the #1 thing that I read over and over again about this pass that you had to have a picture...tons of questions about what size, etc. Even when we bought the pass, the guy at the station said he didn't have time to put it together for us but he clearly made a point to show us we needed a picture and there is clearly a place on the card for you to attach it. We also got stopped once during our trip and I showed my card but they didn't also need to see my ID (probably because they could see from the photo it was me). I am sorry that you were fined but I guess use it as a lesson learned and next time when planning a trip look on the boards as much as you can or ask all the questions you can about a subject if you are still not clear.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
x
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ratp Fines

Well it's 50 EUR. I am charged 35. So do I own more to RATP in that case?

No ticket or travel pass.

Use of a travel pass belonging to a third party. 50 EUR

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ratp Fines

I am going to Paris next month and will be purchasing the Navigo Pass.

One thing I have read frequently on this board is that I need to have a photo and Print my name on the pass. I have also read of people getting fined because they don't do this. So I have printed photos of my husband and I in the right size photo ready to attach to my pass.

I am very excited to be returning to Paris after four years.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tehran
Level Contributor
850 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ratp Fines

Hope you get reimbursed for the extra fine. Here is a snippet from the site https:/… vis-a-vis the photo requirement:

You’ll need a smaller than passport size photo to be used on the pass (exact Navigo Decouverte photo size is 3cm tall by 2.5cm wide), plus a pen to write your name.

x
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ratp Fines

I already paid that, thank you.

Reply to: Ratp Fines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted