We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigo pass on smartphone

Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Navigo pass on smartphone

It looks like the Navigo card is going to become obsolete in Paris. Beginning in the autumn, a new system, loaded on your smartphone, will replace it. It's just being tested, apparently, but I suppose eventually that will be the norm. Sorry, I couldn't find anything in English. Here is a recent report in French: https://tinyurl.com/yclhee6f

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
ASPIC
$$$$, French, European, Contemporary
Les Apotres de Pigalle
$$ - $$$, South American, Brew Pub, European
Epicure
$$$$, French, European
12 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

Thanks twinkie, it was only a matter of time. TBH, I keep my ND tucked under my smartphone case anyway, so won't make a lot of difference validating. I just hope they don't discontinue the open to all aspect as that would be a blow.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

Although, it doesn't sound like the smartcard is going away, just sounds like they will start offering an alternative option.

I'm sure there are still plenty of people without Android-based smartphones that will still wish to buy a pass.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

Agree Jaime, can't see them alienating a large tract of the customer base just yet. Bang goes the anonymity of the ND though.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

JaimeLobo, I hope you are right. I hate my smartphone and don't carry it with me every day. But someday we dinosaurs will no longer be here to cause problems. :-)

Edited: 26 May 2018, 05:34
Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

It would be discriminatory if they did that. Against people who do not want to own a smartphone or could not even afford one.

In fact, while in one spot that article loosely claims it will replace the pass in most of the article it just says it is another option. on top of that, did you notice that it ONLY works with an Android phone, not even on Apple phones, and it has to be a new phone. I don't think there is any way they would make it mandatory that everyone had to own a newer Android smartphone to buy a Navigo pass. I think that article is poorly written.

This article is better in explaining what is going on, which was announced some time ago

https://www.lemonde.fr/smart-cities/article/…

Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

This story may be inspired by the big technology conference here in Paris this week. Macron is trying to promote France as a good place for innovation.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

Good point Christina, this is not a private business that can just decide, for example, it will only accept Visa or Apple Wallet or a website that only takes Paypal for payment. The only issue with a private business, is whether it hurts their business or not.

I assume, as a state-owned agency, they can't deny service to some citizens.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

Many cities (also including NYC) have been announcing plans to eventually offer a smart phone alternative to the current transit payment systems, but usually there is also an alternative ticketing option to be available for those who do not have appropriate smart phones.

For air travel, you can have an electronic boarding pass or you can continue to use the old fashioned physical boarding passes. The Heathrow Express train into London, for example, has offered the e-ticket smart phone option for a while. Commuter train e-tickets in NYC can be purchased through an app for Metro North and the LIRR, and I find that very easy and convenient to use. But you can still purchase tickets the old-fashioned way with no smart phone needed; this is just another option for those who prefer it.

I can’t imagine that any smart phone ticketing option for Paris transit system would be the only option available — at least for the foreseeable future.

But I would not mind having my Navigo Decouverte on my French mobile phone & being able to recharge the weekly travel on line, instead of needing to go to a métro station to do it in a machine. (especially since I use busses in Paris more often than métro or RER these days, so I need to go out of my way to recharge) But since I use an iphone, this experiment with Android phones only won’t help me.

Edited: 26 May 2018, 07:52
Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
995 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

LovesSunnyIsles -- I recharge my Navigo at my local CIC branch, at an ATM. I don't know if that option is available for the Decouverte, though.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navigo pass on smartphone

You can load a Navigo Decouverte at an ATM or a Tabac. Though IME the ATM or Tabac will not accept an American Credit card. I did pay in cash once at a Tabac when I had lost my French card.

Reply to: Navigo pass on smartphone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;