We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Protests for Tomorrow

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris Protests for Tomorrow

We're in Paris now. Earlier in the week I read Melenchon and a labor union called for protests this Saturday but I can't find any information on it.

Does anyone know where the protest will take place? And is it a bad idea to go and see what it looks like?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
581 Reviews
from USD 74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from USD 102.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
645 Reviews
from USD 48.30*
10 replies to this topic
Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

Here is today's US State Dept. alert about the demonstrations tomorrow: https://tinyurl.com/ybqx8f7w

State goes overboard w/these warnings, imho.

Edited: 26 May 2018, 01:49
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

The State Deparment always suggest that you stay away - but they are just covering their a$$es.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

Yes, exactly, F1 ! :-)

paris london
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

Yes, it is "a bad idea to go and see what it looks like". Most of these protests are peaceful, but the obstruction does prevent other people from getting on with their daily business. Please don't add to the congestion, or impede the police from doing their job. If it's of any moment you will be able to watch it on the TV news later.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

<<And is it a bad idea to go and see what it looks like?>> Probably about the same as going to visit the volcano on Hawaii's Big Island. Gosh, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

Seeing a labor demonstration should hardly be a new event you've never seen, but no, I wouldn't go as a tourist spectator. It createsx more congestion and occasionally there are problems.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,612 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

The protests are actually kinda fun, with ginormous balloons and music and café stops. I really can’t see

why not go if someone is curious about them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,681 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

We stumbled on the May 1 demonstrations and have seen many others earlier. They are quite interesting; they are usually announced and the routes well marked. It was kind of obvious who the trouble makers were going to be -- we passed them about 10 minutes before they cut loose. Go if it interests you; don't if it doesn't. It is a quite routine French thing and interesting for that reason.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
159 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

We also stumbled into the May 1 demonstration while on a CV Citroen tour. It was interesting in and of itself but even more so as the guide/driver provided a good explanation of what was going on. As others have said it did cause quite a bit of congestion in the area.

I used to live in DC so I've seen so many demonstrations there that I wouldn't go looking for one while on vacation.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Protests for Tomorrow

There's no reason to not go see what the demonstration is like. It's an interesting experience IME. But also a pain when the bus routes are diverted or not running.

Reply to: Paris Protests for Tomorrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;