We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Will the France train strike being extended into July?

I am planning to go to Paris in early of July 2018.

Is there any possibility for the Paris railway strike to be extended into July?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from USD 37.80*
USD 43.50
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
33 replies to this topic
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,787 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Nothing is impossible.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Historically, rail strikes are very rare in France in July and August. I think that the last major one was during the 1968 uprising, but I am happy to be corrected by anyone with a better memory than me.

1 post
1 review
3. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Any chance that the strike will end early?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Nothing is impossible but ................

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
872 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43617033

article says 3 months---that puts us into end of june. we are going in june...rats

6. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

From what I'm reading online, it's up to the French trade union to decide. The union thinks the government is not budging, and they can and are willing to extend the strikes to July and August if need be. But SNCF (the French train company) had reassured that they will most likely not have any strikes during the summer period. So we just gotta wait and see. I feel your pain. It's making me anxious in my planning for my short layover trip over to Paris as I will be taking a personal detour from my group of friends who will be staying in London throughout for their vacation in mid-July, and I will need to take the train back to London on the day of my flight in the morning (which is nerve-racking) to catch my flight back home in the afternoon.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 23:56
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

>article says 3 months<

Article is 3 weeks old. Wait to see what happens. Nobody without a crystal ball knows exactly how this will pan out, and that includes both parties to the dispute.

Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

The unions have threatened to extend rail strikes into the summer; but so far no additional train strike dates have been announced beyond the current “rolling strikes” calendar through June...

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180423/french-rail…

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

Theoretically the strike could continue, but since support is already fast losing momentum among both strikers and the public, who knows?

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Will the France train strike being extended into July?

I also will be heading to Paris in early July. We have purchased the Eurail pass and am now learning that it doesn't apply to France rails except for the Thello. I am completely booked with rail and accomodations all throughout Italy and Switzerland and will be going to Paris from Zermatt on July 3, 2018. I just learned that the Thello is now bussing people on the France side. Does this strike affect all trains in France? Or just Paris? I know that the scheduled strike is to end on June 28th but I'm concerned it will be extended even a week? I am actually considering a different country now...what are other options leaving Zermatt and getting to Paris?

Reply to: Will the France train strike being extended into July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted