We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Food in Paris

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost of Food in Paris

Hello,

We will be in Paris (our AirBnB is close to the Pantheon) from May 24 to May 30. We are from Toronto, Canada and are a family of three (2 adults and 1 child). I was wondering if anyone can provide a realistic daily cost estimate for eating out in Paris.

Thanks

Patrick

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pantheon
Pantheon
3,724 Reviews
Paris, France
Can Alegria Paris
$$ - $$$, French, Mediterranean, European
Uma Nota
$$ - $$$, Japanese, Brazilian, Street Food
Epicure
$$$$, French, European
91 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

It's about 75 € per person per day, or more and much more.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

Wine is cheaper than Toronto. For everything else, base prices are about 25% more than you would pay at home, but remember service is included, so you will end up paying maybe 10% more overall.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

Just below Rue Soufflot on Rue St Jacques is Cafe Croq Fac. Coffee was 1 euro, pains aux chocolat were a euro when we stayed nearby and few years ago. Prices may be more now but will still be about a third of what nearby cafes charge. Cheapest Paris breakfasts I've ever had in multiple trips.

Lunch can be a sandwich bought at a boulangerie or sandwicherie and a drink picked up in a small convenience store. Or have a restaurant meal at lunch and sandwiches for supper. You can even eat in if you really want to save but you can certainly keep costs well below 75 euros.

Mentioned in this post
Le Soufflot Cafe
Le Soufflot Cafe
392 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint-Jacques
Hotel Saint-Jacques
1,035 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

I'll suggest breakfast at "home"--walk to your nearest boulangerie for a baguette and breakfast pastries (5-6€ for the 3 of you). Supplement with coffee, juices, eggs, yogurt, fruit, whatever you like from your nearest grocery store (Google map Franprix, which is likely your nearest store).

For lunch, we usually have a salad or simple croque monsieur and frites at a cafe for 10-12€ each. Or look for the "menu" at Paul, Brioche Dorée or similar for about 8€ (choice of sandwich, dessert & drink). Or stop by any boulangerie for a baguette sandwich for a few euro.

We eat well at 35€ a person for dinner (excluding wine). Depending on the age of your child, you might not be dining at restaurants and might stick more with cafes, where you can count around 20-25€ a person.

And you'll want to include in your budget an afternoon snack of a pastry or ice cream/gelato! Say 5€ a day for that.

Mentioned in this post
Paul
Paul
896 Reviews
Paris, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

I agree with Annette's wise suggestions. You be be close to Rue Mouffetard, a fabulous market street. We once stayed close by, and bought fresh fruit and cheeses, as well as baguettes quite regularly. Franprix, or monoprix provided butter, yoghurt, wine. Since we try to stay in apartments rather than hotels, we often take small amounts of dry items such as tea and coffee for early morning. Friends who travel with wee ones always take favourite cereal and a jar of peanut butter in their checked bags. To give yourself an idea of costs,think of the cost of a coffee here in Toronto, then exchange the dollar sign for a euro one. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Annette's Diner
Annette's Diner
4,148 Reviews
Marne-la-Vallee, France
Le Mouffetard
Le Mouffetard
173 Reviews
Paris, France
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

OP, asking daily cost estimate for eating out in Paris. Tessa 227 is right.

It's about 75 € per person per day, or more and much more.

You don't wanna go to Paris eating sandwiches, comon...

Edited: 19 March 2018, 02:50
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

I think 75Eur per person per day is a great number for setting your budget for the trip. Certainly you can have a few very inexpensive meals, but also a few slightly more indulgent meals. Sure, it's fun to get a baguette sandwich at a bakery and eat it in a park *once*, but you're on vacation, so do be sure to enjoy yourselves and don't make whoever does all the cooking and washing up at home have to do the cooking and washing up on vacation as well.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

Practice learning to carry and make your own lunch and learn to brown bag it for saving money on food. Paris is expensive for showing up at a restaurant for each meal to purchase a meal. Response # 5 offers good advice. Response # 4 mentions "breakfast at home" as good strategy to follow. I would add lunch in the same place or between places you might be visiting. Response # 3 contains worth while advice. Comparisons with food prices in Toronto are worth while endeavors to contemplate and calculate and are in the same category of expenses. Yes, it depends on what you must eat. But both cities are expensive for food costs. Eat your home made lunch in the park as you contemplate walking through the city. You do not have show up at a restaurant for each meal.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

> It's about 75 € per person per day, or more and much more.

No it's not. It depends entirely on your choices. Locals don't spend €75 pppd. If you self cater you could get by for a faction of that amount.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Food in Paris

I'm among the lucky ones...my darling prefers to do the cooking, and he willingly cleans up. As he has said many times, it's a pleasure, and not a chore. On the other hand, we have eaten delicious lunches and dinners, with wine, and likely around € 75 each. Sidewalk bistros appeal where possible, and a good bowl of onion soup, or quiche ands salad, with a glass of house red is quite satisfying. Now I'm dreaming of Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Reply to: Cost of Food in Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted