We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Topic
Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I see people asking the same questions in multiple threads about which modes of transportation will be affected during the upcoming 3-month-long SNCF strike so I thought I would address this question here.

First, the strike will be two days out of five. Here is the strike calendar:

https://tinyurl.com/SNCF-STRIKE

1) MODES OF TRANSPORTATION CONCERNED = All trains operated by the SNCF, which is the national railway company:

- all long-distance and inter-city trains (TGV, Intercités, Ter)

- in the Paris region: transilien suburban trains, the northern portion of RER B from Gare du Nord, RER C, RER D and RER E.

2) IN THE PARIS TRANSIT SYSTEM, there will be NO IMPACT on:

- the métro

- buses, trams

- Roissybus and Orlybus

- RER A and the portion of RER B south of Gare du Nord*

3) HOW BAD WILL THE STRIKE BE?

No one knows yet but even on strike days, some trains run. Check the transportation websites 48 to 24 hours before your planned trip to see which trains will be running. Normally, at least one train out of four to three trains out of four run, depending on the types of trains and lines but there can be close to no trains outside rush hour, it has happened before. But again, no one knows for sure yet.

4) WHAT IF MY BOOKED LONG-DISTANCE TRAIN IS CANCELED?

You should be notified by mail. Go to the website you booked from to see if you can set up alerts.

If your train is canceled, you will be allowed to board any other train on the same route that day, whether it is before or after your scheduled train.

If you do not use your ticket on another train, your ticket will be refunded, even non-refundable tickets (except on OUIGO trains: you will get a voucher for another OUIGO train only).

5) ALTERNATE ROUTES AROUND PARIS

The Paris transit system is quite dense and CDG airport and Versailles are accessible via non-SNCF-operated routes. For instance:

- from CDG to Paris, other modes of public transportation are Roissybus, Le Bus Direct or bus lines 350 and 351.

- To get to Versailles without depending on the SNCF, you can take bus 171 from métro Pont de Sèvres at the end of line 9. It will drop you off outside the château.

* (Because RER B is managed by both the RATP and the SNCF, sometimes, during a strike, you must get off at Gare du Nord and change trains before continuing your trip on RER B.)

Expect operating trains to be busier than usual, possibly overcrowded at certain times (buses from/to the airport may be unusually crowded too as a result). It may be more difficult to get a taxi too as more people will resort to using a taxi. Since more commuters will be using their cars, there may be more traffic jams and rush hour may last longer (in case you are taking Roissybus or renting a car for a trip for instance).

Edited: 17 March 2018, 08:04
Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,388 Reviews
Paris, France
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
121 Reviews
Paris, France
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,268 Reviews
Paris, France
RoissyBus
RoissyBus
105 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel At Gare du Nord
Hotel At Gare du Nord
619 Reviews
Paris, France
806 replies to this topic
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I think at this point, I wouldn't worry too much about June 2. I would keep an eye on how things go. They may cancel the rest of the strike dates after a month of seeing how it goes. Right now, the SNCF is apparently offering people refunds for April trips only. Not trips in May or June.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Thank you - a very good explanation. We're going from Reims to Luxembourg on Thursday and no-one can tell us what will happen. Droits croisés!

Mentioned in this post
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
93. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

You will know by 5 PM on Wednesday, kiwi-di :) Go to the SNCF website and look for routes or train numbers and you will see which trains are running or not so you can decide on an earlier or later train if yours happens to be cancelled. Good luck!

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I fly out of CDG March 22. Is the public service strike that impacts air traffic controllers going to happen? If still not known for sure, when will it be confirmed?

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
95. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Thank you very much for this post. I had no idea about the strike and it happens to land on 2 of my travel days. For peace of mind, I booked a flight from Paris to Nantes for only 50 euro each. I contacted my credit card company and they said that if SNCF denies my request for a refund, they will refund it to me either way. Now I have to figure out how to get to Giverney. I am in contact with my tour guide for recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Nantes
Nantes
Loire-Atlantique, France
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
2,578 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

ecksf, post 84 in this thread addresses getting to Giverney.

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
97. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Thank you. I read that post and am looking into a tour bus right now. Luckily I had not booked our train tickets yet.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
2,578 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I'm sure you will get something worked out. Enjoy Giverney!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I will be in Paris in early April. With the pending train strike are any of you concerned that the price for bus tickets (Flix, Ouibus) will significantly increase due to demand? I'm concerned since it appears that there will be crowded trains and little service on weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
186 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Hello: We have tickets from the station at CDG to Strasbourg on strike day April 28 and we're not ready to cancel yet. I checked trainline eu and the English site for SNCF and now no tickets at all are being sold for Paris to Strasbourg on that date.

Does that mean my tickets have been cancelled? We'd rather wait until mid April before deciding whether to change our plans.

Thanks for any responses/help.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France