We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
Save Topic
Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I see people asking the same questions in multiple threads about which modes of transportation will be affected during the upcoming 3-month-long SNCF strike so I thought I would address this question here.

First, the strike will be two days out of five. Here is the strike calendar:

https://tinyurl.com/SNCF-STRIKE

1) MODES OF TRANSPORTATION CONCERNED = All trains operated by the SNCF, which is the national railway company:

- all long-distance and inter-city trains (TGV, Intercités, Ter)

- in the Paris region: transilien suburban trains, the northern portion of RER B from Gare du Nord, RER C, RER D and RER E.

2) IN THE PARIS TRANSIT SYSTEM, there will be NO IMPACT on:

- the métro

- buses, trams

- Roissybus and Orlybus

- RER A and the portion of RER B south of Gare du Nord*

3) HOW BAD WILL THE STRIKE BE?

No one knows yet but even on strike days, some trains run. Check the transportation websites 48 to 24 hours before your planned trip to see which trains will be running. Normally, at least one train out of four to three trains out of four run, depending on the types of trains and lines but there can be close to no trains outside rush hour, it has happened before. But again, no one knows for sure yet.

4) WHAT IF MY BOOKED LONG-DISTANCE TRAIN IS CANCELED?

You should be notified by mail. Go to the website you booked from to see if you can set up alerts.

If your train is canceled, you will be allowed to board any other train on the same route that day, whether it is before or after your scheduled train.

If you do not use your ticket on another train, your ticket will be refunded, even non-refundable tickets (except on OUIGO trains: you will get a voucher for another OUIGO train only).

5) ALTERNATE ROUTES AROUND PARIS

The Paris transit system is quite dense and CDG airport and Versailles are accessible via non-SNCF-operated routes. For instance:

- from CDG to Paris, other modes of public transportation are Roissybus, Le Bus Direct or bus lines 350 and 351.

- To get to Versailles without depending on the SNCF, you can take bus 171 from métro Pont de Sèvres at the end of line 9. It will drop you off outside the château.

* (Because RER B is managed by both the RATP and the SNCF, sometimes, during a strike, you must get off at Gare du Nord and change trains before continuing your trip on RER B.)

Expect operating trains to be busier than usual, possibly overcrowded at certain times (buses from/to the airport may be unusually crowded too as a result). It may be more difficult to get a taxi too as more people will resort to using a taxi. Since more commuters will be using their cars, there may be more traffic jams and rush hour may last longer (in case you are taking Roissybus or renting a car for a trip for instance).

Edited: 17 March 2018, 08:04
806 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
761. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Thank you for your reply. The claim is not for the train tickets but for the other expenses I incurred due to the cancellation. I am in process of filing a claim but they may want proof that the train was cancelled. For some reason I couldn't bring it up again online or using the app. I didn't buy the tickets through SNCF directly but rail europe.

Washington state
Level Contributor
746 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
762. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

I find it very difficult to believe a US insurer would reimburse those costs, which I assume they would say are the contingencies of travel. Good luck though...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
763. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

#761 - In the future never use RailEurope to buy tickets, check train schedules or pretty much anything related to rail travel in Europe (including usually rail passes, which are rarely good value for money vs. advanced purchase tickets). RailEurope charges higher prices and doesn't show all available trains. Go ahead and compare individual journeys on RailEurope vs. oui.sncf.com or trainline.eu. If you want to buy train tickets in France use the latter two websites. Tickets are cheapest when purchased 3 months in advance (and sometimes further in advance than 3 months), when they usually go on sale. Also, I've seen several times on this forum a poster complain about them when it comes to getting a refund (due to strikes, or whatever). They are harder to deal with than if you bought tickets directly through oui.sncf.com or trainline.eu. To learn more about rail travel in Europe see seat61.com.

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
764. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

You can get the listed strike days through https:/…674-sncf-french-rail-strikes-2018

perhaps print that out or include that link with your claims. My credit card also offers reimbursement for trip interruption or cancellation and it does include strikes. Luckily, we were able to work around the strikes but I certainly checked out if we would be covered and it appeared we would be.Good luck with that.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
765. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

MsColorado- great thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
766. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Keep checking SNCF website & local media. Some of the unions are still calling for continuation of the rail strikes into July:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180618/french-rail…

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
767. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Wondering whether strike will be over in July? Someone had mentioned they usually don't strike in July & August because that is when they take their vacations.

Any input is appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
768. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Judy, did you read the post directly prior to yours?

Some of the unions have said they will continue the rail strikes into July, but actual strike dates have not yet been announced.

Keep checking the SNCF website and French news websites for further updates:

French union to extend rail strike into summer

http://f24.my/38vL.F

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
769. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

apparently the July dates for any further rail strikes may be announced sometime today....

"SNCF : la CGT menace les premiers départs en vacances" : lefigaro.fr/societes/2018/06/19/20005-201806…

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
770. Re: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike

Any further updates...for SNCF or AF ?

Reply to: Understanding the upcoming SNCF strike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted