We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

Dear fellow travelers,

My husband and I will be in Paris for the first time this November. We booked an apartment in the 14th right near the Raspail Metro line. I have travelled all over where I used subway and trains regularly as well as walked a ton. But after reading some of the posts from other TA folks about the time involved in taking the Paris Metro, I'm wondering if my location choice isn't so great. I originally chose St. Germaine area, but my husband saw the apt in the 14th and felt it was close enough for what we wanted to but away from the hustle and bustle. My thought is, we will be in the hustle and bustle all day while touring and once we get back to our apt we won't be...because we'll be alone in our apt. He's going on this trip for me, so I wanted him to have some say where we stay. I didn't want to suggest changing the apt, unless it will take away from the quality of our short visit.

Our planned activities:

Visit the Eiffel Tower

Cruise the Seine

Food Tour in St. Germaine and/or Marais

Wander the streets of Paris discover things

Have some great meals and cheese, cheese, cheese!

Any thoughts on our location?

Thanks so much :)

37 replies to this topic
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

I love, love, love the 14th. It is a great neighborhood. When I was a student I would walk from there to St Germain every day for classes, it is really not that far. Also, about the metro, you're on the line 4 which is direct to the Seine and St Germain and the Line 6 which is direct to the Eiffel Tower. Those rides are all under 15 minutes. It is a very convenient place to be.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

Awesome Phread! Thanks for your personal experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,092 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

I also love the 14th. I probably wouldn't have chosen it for the first trip because one of my great joys in Paris is walking along the Seine and Notre Dame at night. 5 nights/4 days is a short trip and I would want to be more central. but it is not that far out and the area is fine. The metro transport is good; I wouldn't worry about it.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

I grew up in the 14th, so I may be biased (it was a happy childhood!), but I also think the 14th is a great place to stay and Raspail is lovely. It is not so far from restaurants and theater (Montparnasse) but quieter to come back to at night, and it is quite an appealing neighbourhood with interesting architecture. For me, this is the real Paris experience, a lot more than the Marais. And as phread says, it's very convenient for public transport. You'll be fine.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

Thanks for your input Janet, I am looking forward to our first trip and will have a better outlook for my next trip (hopefully). Sophie that's wonderful, I'm excited to explore your neighborhood!

Cheers,

Lakisha

Edited: 28 September 2017, 04:18
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

I guess I should've said 6 days/ 5 nights in the title. But same question applies regardless. :)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

This location is only about a mile from the Seine. It isn't far out at all. That isn't far out from dead center in any big city. I would never cal this location "not central."

Personally, I think it is a much better location due to all the tourists in St Germain. This is hardly isolated, though, I think you have a distorted view of Paris as this area is still full of hustle and bustle, just not quite as many tourists, and not quite as close to tourist attractions, which helps. But it is hardly tranquil, at least around bd Montparnasse.

The more southern part of be Raspail gets a little more tranquil, say south of bd Quinet.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

Thanks Christina. Yes we don't really expect tranquil, I think my husband is looking for something as you described, lively but not mobbed. Seeing as neither of us have been, we can only go by others experiences and what we read. I enjoy the video tours on YouTube of people strolling through different neighborhoods just showing what an average day looks like. That and reading TA posts really whets my appetite for travel.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

We stayed in the 14th (near cemetery) for the first time, this last June and it became our favorite area.

To add to Christina's comment above, I think actually you need to go down past the catacombs before it really quiets down. Some lovely street around the squares in that area - Rue Daguerre is a nice little streets full of restaurants and shops (and a Monoprix open on Sunday)

Edited: 28 September 2017, 04:44
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days

I stay in the 14th every year. It's great and really does not add that much time getting anyplace

Reply to: Second Guessing Apartment in the 14th for 5 Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted