We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

Colorado
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

Please clarify for me as I've searched and have found some confusing info.

If I have it right, the four of us can take a taxi to our hotel (in Montparnasse) for 55€ and that additional charges only apply for more than four people. Correct or no? I thought I also read it could be 65€ for four people.

Our hotel offers a shuttle from the airport for 72€ for the four of us.

Price aside, is there a a preference on taxis vs hotel shuttles? Anything to consider that I haven't thought of?

Our hotel would receive transferring from RER to Metro so with luggage I'm not real keen on doing that.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
686 Reviews
from USD 73.60*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
745 Reviews
from USD 47.90*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,283 Reviews
from USD 111.00*
California
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

Hotel shuttle is much more expensive than the legal taxi as the hotel plus their affiliated service need to make profit. Plus it is oftentimes a shared shuttle which is terrible. Even if it is a private shuttle a taxi will be just as efficient and again cheaper.

Linthicum, MD
Level Contributor
798 posts
261 reviews
2. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

The taxi rates are fixed. It is 55Euro to or from the Left Bank to CDG. If the hotel calls one for you, there may be an additional fee for the trip from the taxi's point of origin to the hotel. This would occur if you use a taxi to get back to the airport from the hotel. There may be an additional fee for excess luggage. Still, 72 E represents quite a mark-up. The procedure for getting a taxi at the airport couldn't be simpler. You just line up at the taxi stand and wait your turn. You have to decide if it is worth the extra money to avoid waiting in line. Also, I imagine the hotel can add the charge to your bill, which means you won't have to worry about having cash or whether the taxi accepts credit cards. Again, whether the convenience is worth the extra money is for you to decide.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,865 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

The charge for calling a taxi is 4 Euros; if you order it in advance like the night before, it is 7 Euro. Definitely do this for the return to the airport. There is no charge for luggage and no extra person charge until the 5th person.

The fixed fee from the airport for 4 and luggage is 50/55 from CDG depending on the side of the river you are heading to. It is never 65 for 4 people.

Hotels don't have 'hotel shuttles'; they put you in commercial shuttles usually shared shuttles and they cost more especially for several people. 72 is ridiculous. Why would anyone pay an extra 22 Euro for no added value?

There are cities where it is worth it to pay a hotel to make your life easier; Paris is not one of those.

Edited: 16 July 2017, 06:16
Colorado
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

Thanks all - you confirmed my decision. Appreciate it! :)

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

True

6. Re: Taxi vs. Hotel Shuttle and price clarifications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2018, 14:18