We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Hi, my husband and I are planning a 3-4 day trip to Burgundy driving on after a 3 day visit to the Loire Valley. This is our first trip so need lots of advice and input. So far, this is what I've come up with:-

- We're hoping to stay at Moulin Renaudiots in Autun.

- 12/7/11 (Tue) - Market day in Dijon. Chateauneuf en Auxois &

St. Madelaine in the afternoon.

- 13/7/11 (Wed) - full day guided wine tour. We like our reds and would like to sample some grand and premier cru wines. Any recommendations?

- 14/7/11 (Thu) - Lunch at Maison Lameloise & L’Abbaye de Fontenay later in the afternoon.

The next part of our trip is on to Milan, Italy. At this stage, we're debating whether to drop off the rental car in Dijon and catch an overnight train to Milan (can someone tell me if the train service is reliable?) or our other option is to drive back to Paris CDG airport and catch a flight out to Milan. The train option is sounding more time efficient at the moment.

Any comments/input are most welcome.

Thanks,

Vivien

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Sorry, meant to say dinner at Maison Lameloise - how far in advance do you need to make a booking?

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Burgundy is a lovely part of France and quite large. When you say you are hoping to stay in Autun, does this mean only one night or for the entire time? If it is the latter, you are going to spend a lot of time travelling to the places you have mentioned - Dijon, Abbaye de Fontenay, St Madeleine [Vezelay?]- and you may want to consider a more central location.

Beaune would be a place to look at for wine tours of the region, but someone else could perhaps help you there and with advice about restaurant bookings.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. We have spent 17 weeks [ 4 of them in various parts of Burgundy] in France since 2006 and loved them all.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

The plan is to stay the whole time in Autun. I know it seems a little out of the way to all the other sights. We were considering Beune or Dijon initially but they're such large towns. We really want to experience the country. Do you know of any good places to stay in Beune or Dijon that you would recommend?

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

We have the luxury of a bit more time and stay in cottages [gites] for a week so cannot help with hotels or chambre d'hotes. In 2006 we stayed near Flavigny [of Chocolat fame], and from here we visited Dijon, Fontenay , Noyers, Semur en Auxois, Vezelay . In 2006 we also stayed near Chalon sur Saone and visited Autun, Beaune and drove around the wine area there.

Logis de France are small hotels in smaller places -not 5 star but comfortable and often with a small restaurant. We have stayed in a couple at beginning and end of holidays and found them ok. I do not know what is in that area .My advice would be to look at the map and start googling some town names and see what comes up -hotels and chambre d'hotes. It depends what you are looking for- eg we do not eat out a lot and do not need restaurants close but do enjoy driving around and stopping in interesting spots. Autun has lots to offer but as a base to see the places you have mentioned, may not be the best choice.

We enjoy planning our trips and it is all worth it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Thanks for the advice. More research needed, I think.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Autun and Beaune are much the same size, about 20,000 people at a guess, so both relatively small towns.

Do you have the Michelin green guide for Burgundy? How about the Loire valley? If not I think you need to get your hands on them along with the relevant Michelin 1:200,000 scale maps.

Do try to include Vézelay and the nearby small town of Avallon in your plans. If you are visiting Fontenay, which I would certainly recommend, you might want to check out Ancy-le-Franc and the village of Semur-en-Auxois. IMO some of the loveliest scenery in Burgundy is in the region known as the Morvan between Autun and Avallon.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,752 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

If you don't feel like the night train to Milan from Dijon, which only takes six hours so you will get a very uncertain night's sleep, consider dropping your car at Chambery for a four-hour day train rather than flying from Paris.

Chambery is slightly nearer Autun than Charles de Gaulle and an easier drive. Because of airport formalities and transfer in Milan, the plane will save you very little time.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 07:25
8. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 04:43
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

Thanks for all the input. This is the revised version:-

12/7/11 - Forget about the market day in Dijon. L’Abbaye de Fontenay,

Ancy-le-Franc and the village of Semur-en-Auxois.

13/7/11 - St. Madelaine, Town of Avallon, dinner at Maison Lameloise (Thanks for the tip off about 14th July, Diz. I wasn't aware of that) and definitely will be taxiiing it in and out from the restaurant. :)

14/7/11 - Full day wine tour. Overnight train to Venice now as we were planning on going to Venice from Milan and this way is more efficient.

Notes: No way of doing Vezelay on the way from Loire as we're planning on doing Chateau Cheverny and Chambord on the way to Burgundy.

We'll be doing lots of chateaus in the Loire so the plan for Burgundy is to see as much of the countryside and vineyards as possible.

I have checked distances of the routes but I guess I didn't factor in the kind of roads... What's the speed limit on country roads?

Thanks everyone... much appreciated advice and input.

Vivien

10. Re: 3-4 days in Burgundy - Comments and advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 04:45