We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Four of us will be driving around Brittany for a week at the end of May. How reliable/useful is Google Maps in Brittany? Is Mappy preferable/worse than/equivalent to Google Maps? Does anyone recommend a different mapping application? And, most fundamentally, how is the cellular service to support the applications? I used (or tried to use) a Garmin device to attempt to navigate around Tuscany six years ago to comical and near disastrous effect. I am hoping to avoid a repeat of that experience in Brittany. I have acquired the impressive Michelin map, but would love a soothing voice along the way to tell me when to take the next right or make a u-turn.

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Hi

Google maps works very well in Britanny, and it's the same for cellular.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Personally I prefer a SatNav for this purpose

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Thank you for the input.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

Google Maps is very good now that it allows you do download the maps for an area in advance. If you do this on wifi before you set out it doesn’t matter if the cellular coverage drops in and out while you are driving.

Sure, it’s not quite as convenient as a dedicated sat-nav with maps loaded, but it’s pretty darn good for a free service.

Plus of course you get the benefit of Google search which is streets ahead of anything else.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 09:14
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage

We preloaded the Google Maps for Paris, and the area around Limoge last year. Worked a treat without phone connection.

Have used it also successfully in Cuba, US and Canada.

Reply to: Google Maps, Mappy and Cellular coverage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted