We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

I'm going to Paris, bringing my unlocked iphone and want to get a SIM card and buy a prepaid plan with data. I've read in different places that Orange has something like that but a friend who was in Paris recently said it doesn't exist, so I'm confused. Does anybody know what's available? Any company is OK. Thanks much.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,853 Reviews
from USD 37.60*
USD 44.10
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from USD 110.40*
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,483 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

No need for confusion. While there are plenty of inexpensive voice plans, there is no prepaid, 3G or 4G data plan available in France for mobile phones.

There are several possibilities for prepaid Internet via USB device to a laptop and these are what Orange offers.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

Both SFR and Orange offer prepaid data plans that can be used with a smartphone. The Orange service seems to be the easier of the two to get working. You can get an option called Internet Max on their Mobicarte prepaid SIM. Currently priced at 9 euros for 500MB. Lots of good tips here:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/france/

An ebay search will turn up a couple of sellers who will ship you a SIM pre-activated in your name. This saves the paperwork hassles and delays in activation when you arrive in the country.

Edited: 23 April 2011, 22:49
Bengaluru, India
1 post
3. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

Hi,

How do I get a mobile connection in France? What are the documents required for getting one & where do I go for it?

For 20 days approximate cost of mobile assuming only local calls?

THanks a ton

West Springfield...
1 post
4. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

hi, I'm going to Paris for the summer and I want to unlock my iphone so I can use over there but I'm a little nervous that I'm going to screw it up. How did you unlock it? was it easy?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,883 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

Do a Google search or look on Kijiji.com or Craigslist for someone offering the service in your area... I bought a used iPhone for my daughter recently and a local phone store unlocked and jailbroke it for 25 dollars... if you are asking about unlocking in this forum it tells me you should not be doing it yourself. No insult intended...

6. Re: Prepaid cell phone + data plan while in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 00:19