We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

After staying in Sarlat for 3 nights we are driving to Avignon,

We need to stop maybe 2 times until we get to Avignon ( 5-6- hour on the road not fun)

Please advise us where we can make stops for snacks(dinner) and interesting sightseeing small cities and drives.

Thank you very much.

P.S. my friend recommended one city that must see: Rocamadour - one hour drive from Sarlat. What do you think? Too earlier for first stop?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
646 Reviews
from USD 73.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
704 Reviews
from USD 47.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from USD 101.30*
9 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

Check routings and places to see on www.viamichelin.com

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

Besides being a little too early for your first stop, I don't think that Rocamadour is worth spending the night at. We stayed there for one night, and found the village to be a total tourist trap. It's a spectacular sight to see, but an hour there would be plenty.

Instead, I'd suggest considering Conques as the first stop, and Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert or La Couvertoirade as the second stop.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

I am not sure whether you mean two overnight stops or two stops in the one day.

If it is two nights you could stop at Rocamadour before travelling on to Conques as Bob suggests. The next day you could head towards Bob's other suggestions or even a bit further on to Pezenas which is a bit bigger. This would give you the opportunity to see the amazing Millau viaduct. Then on to Avignon.

If it is one day , it is a big trip. What a lot of people forget is that detouring off or stopping to do sightseeing all adds on to the length of the trip. both in time and distance. You are looking at a six hour drive already and that would be on autoroutes part of the time. As soon as you get off them your travelling time gets slower. As for stops for meals etc, we do not really plan ahead. We always have a picnic lunch with us and just stop when we find somewhere around lunch time. And we usually just stop in a random village along the way when we see a boulangerie and get a baguette and a pastry or piece of patisserie.

Bon voyage.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

Thank you very much for advise .

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

So, are you making 2 overnight stops? Or two stops on the way - it's still not clear.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

If I may, I would like to join this thread, We are planning the same, driving from Sarlat-la-Caneda to Avignon (actually Uzes). I checked on viamichelin,com (love that site); and we are thinking about driving South, making one overnight stop near Carcassonne. Would this a good way to go? Your comments would be appreciated.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

There is nothing wrong with that. Carcassonne is probably about half way, so a logical choice, especially if you have not been there. The suggestions for the OP arose because he/she mentioned Rocamadour. It will be autoroute driving which is often not the most scenic. We only use autoroutes when necessary. But as I said, driving on D roads will be slower.

Pontorson, France
Level Contributor
248 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

You are in SUCH a wealth of choices ... Rocamandour is wonderful - go! Tiny ancient village ... wandering around the Lot and Dordogne is a 'wander' and if you want more A to B, target something you can sink your teetch into...Personally I'd head south to Carcassone. Then east to Arles. Go around all the bigger, busier cities ... If that's too much, just get to Arles which is just west of Avignon. Fantastic small city on the Rhone ...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon

Thank you phirhon . Since we’ll have 4 weeks in France we’ll do lots of local driving. Therefore I figured it would not be too bad to do the motorways for long distances,

Reply to: 2-3 stops from Sarlat-la-Canéda to Avignon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted