We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Europe

9 posts
Save Topic
Trains in Europe

Hello, Wondering how safe is to travel in train. We are thinking to take the morning TGV train from Paris to Milan with my 7 year old kid end of July. Is Parys Gare Lyon Station safe? is there metal detectors, everything like airports ? How are the bags being checked ? I am very nervous because I am traveling with a kid. We want her to have the experience of the train and scenery. Should I flight instead ? I am not worried about the 7hours commute, I am more worried about the safety of the trains..

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
La Gare
La Gare
1,303 Reviews
Paris, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
566 Reviews
from USD 69.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,230 Reviews
from USD 115.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
634 Reviews
from USD 48.70*
7 replies to this topic
West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains in Europe

99% of the time the trains are safe. Like anywhere that travelers and tourists congregate, train stations are where pickpockets will look for targets. Just be aware, keep an eye on your bags and purse and don't make anything easy to take away. It's a little more difficult with a young child to not get distracted but just takes a bit more focusing.

I can't remember metal detectors at any train station in France, Italy, UK, Spain or Switzerland unless something has changed recently.

Nor have I seen bags getting checked. You will have to bring them onto the train yourself, there will be room to store it unless it's a very big bag. I have read about bags being taken on the trains in various places but again. it's a matter of being alert.

Overall traveling by train in Europe is relaxing and enjoyable. Much more room than trains and depending on the route you get to see a fair amount (last year got a gorgeous view of the coastline near Collioure from a local train).

If I remember right the train from Paris to Milan is fairly direct. We will be taking a train from Nice to Milan (and on to Verona) in June and I think our trip is not as direct. Can't say if there is any scenery on the TGV from Paris to Milan. Others would know.

(if you don't get other response to the form of the question, try reposting it on the Paris or France Forum or even the Milan Forum under the title-- Need advice re Train from Paris to Milan)

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Collioure
Collioure
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
TGV
TGV
1,314 Reviews
Paris, France
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
114 Reviews
Paris, France
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains in Europe

No scanners and no bag checks because the effect of a bomb on a train would be nothing like that on a pressurised aircraft. There are millions of train journeys taking place every week in Europe and I cannot remember the last time there was a bomb on a train.

So, take the train - it's perfectly safe - safer than driving and as safe as walking around the streets.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains in Europe

You do go through airport-like screening to board the trains between London and Paris which go under the channel. Otherwise no security (therefore no delays) on any trains I've seen...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains in Europe

Thanks for your answer. I am a worrier by nature and traveling with kids makes me uneasy; especially after the attack over the weekend....... I am so so close to cancel my trip to Paris........ :(

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains in Europe

Thank you I might follow your recommendation and re-post it....

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains in Europe

There were metal detectors to get on the Thalys train to Amsterdam too.

It sounds like you're taking a day train? In which case you'll be awake to watch your belongings. I've never had a problem, but the only valuables are with me. I don't leave anything valuable in my bag on the luggage rack.

I wouldn't be worried about your personal safety. Bad things can happen anywhere. Only you can decide if you're too frightened to enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains in Europe

welcome,

Planes and fall out of the sky and things can malfunction on them. Trains can derail or another train can be on the same track in the wrong direction.

Im practical about things and the way i live. You may not even make it out of your house or out of the driveway. So many things can happen. So do you want to add that to the mix?

Bad things happen all the time, its just now with the world wide media and other things you know about them now. Before that you were living in compete ignorant bliss.

Good luck.

Reply to: Trains in Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted