We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never done this before..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Never done this before..

Hello,

I am planning a trip for sometime July where my wife and I want to go to Switzerland for about 12-13 days.

Being newly married, I think it will be a good fun trip. We both love nature, rivers, mountains anything not-manmade. We both also love to take the back road rather than the highways.

I was thinking, instead of 12 day switz trip, I wanted to do the below. Can you please help me with some ideas and comment so I can refine the trip.

1. Fly into paris

2. Two days in paris - visit Normandy beach as well.

3. Rental car and drive to zurich avoiding highway (10 hour trip) - Stop at a bed & breakfast in some village.

4. Go around zurich, lucene and some other places.

I really don't know much about switzerland but we both prefer going to places where few may go. Like small villages or deep into forests.

Thank you and looking forward to your comments.

Thunder

Mentioned in this post
8 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,332 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never done this before..

2. The Normandy coastline is hundreds of miles away from Paris. With only 2 days you will not have enough time. Stay in Paris for your 2'days, plenty to do there anyway.

3. You will need a motorway vignette for Switzerlaand. A car rented in France is unlikely to be equipped with one so you will need to purchase that at the Swiss border. I can't see anyone managing a touring holiday in Switzerland without using any motorways, somehow....

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Never done this before..

welcome,

you may want to get a map of the area/region and look at driving distances/times and see how your idea works out for you.

Also, get some travel books and see whats offered in where you are going and anything nearby.

heres a website for you.

www.seat61.com

alto of great train info if you decide to try the trains.

good luck.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never done this before..

Thank you for your replies. Are there any picturesque farms, forests, villages in france that are worth visiting? how about the same in Switzerland.

Any experiences you think we should have in both these places?

Mentioned in this post
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never done this before..

>Are there any picturesque farms, forests, villages in france that are worth visiting? how about the same in Switzerland.<

There are thousands. You really need to get a guidebook and start doing some research rather than asking spectacularly vague questions that will get you a hundred different responses. You also need to ask Swiss questions on the swiss forum.

Paris + the Normandy invasion beaches (there is no place called "Normandy Beach" and Normandy is a region of France with a very long coastline) will take 4 days minimum. For Normandy consider basing yourselves in Bayeux but this is a very picturesque area with lots to see.

You will not find anywhere that is empty of tourists in July - sorry - that's peak season for all Europeans to head to those mountains and forests you want to yourself.

If you want to travel the backroads, look at the www.viamichelin.fr routeplanner and pick the "avoid tolls" option - it will take a lot longer in many cases (though not on a July weekend when the autoroutes are rammed).

You've picked Zurich but seem to forget that France has its own mountains in the Jura, the Alps and the Pyrennees. If you want forests there is the Ardennes or Germany's Black Forest, which is as far from Paris as Zurich.

If you work out a route, come back for more detailed advice, but if you want empty wilderness - head for Norway - it's empty there because they're all in France getting some sunshine.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 02:11
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Jura
Jura
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
The Ardennes
The Ardennes
Wallonia, Belgium
Black Forest
Black Forest
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Norway
Norway
Europe
West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never done this before..

If you are planning to rent a car and drive to Switzerland where you will return the car, there may be quite a jump in the rental price.

A couple of years ago we rented a car at the airport in Paris because we were going to drive around France through the Loire Valley, Dordogne, and Burgundy and wind up in Basel before flying to Vienna. Driving through the French countryside in September was as easy as could be. There are two rental returns at the Basel Airport, one on the French side and one about 30 yards away on the Swiss side. The price of the rental jumped by $350 if we just drove around the airport and returned it to the Swiss side. So we returned it to the French side, walked through the airport (there was no security or immigration check going from France to Switzerland) and at the doorway right by the rental desk caught the bus to central Basel.

Keep that in mind if you are checking rental costs. You might want to take a train to Switzerland and then rent the car so you are not cross country dropping it off.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never done this before..

Thanks, but out of those thousands of villages, we intend to be random in our tours, so just name one that you visited or liked. We will be visiting all places again in the future so this is just a warm-up visit.

Thanks for the rest of the notes

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never done this before..

Thanks a lot and nice fo you for sharing your experience. I will keep that in mind :)

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never done this before..

Most of our trip was further south (Chartres, Vezaley, Beaune) than you will be if you go to Normandy.

But we did cross into Switzerland at Basel after spending a day in Colmar, France. That is quite an attractive small city, very unusual. Went to Zurich by train from Basel.

Mentioned in this post
Chartres
Chartres
Loire Valley, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Colmar
Colmar