We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

We're going to Paris for 2 weeks this summer, and were considering including the above 4 Castles in our itinerary.

I have a couple of questions:

(a) Which of these are absolute must-see's?

(b) For the castles you recommend as must-see's, would it be better to take a day-trip for each by train to see each of them? Or, would it be better to rent a car and spend a few nights at a hotel to see these castles? If you recommend a car-hotel trip, how many days, and which city do you recommend?

Thank you very much for your ideas, suggestions and recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from USD 72.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from USD 47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from USD 100.70*
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

Making four separate day trips from Paris to see these chateaux would be a major waste of time and money. You are definitely better off staying in the Loire Valley for a few days to see them. I have only been to Chenonceau and Chateau d'Angers, and I think they are both worth seeing.

When I went to the Loire Valley, I spent 2 nights in Angers and 3 nights in Tours, but that was because I did not have a car. Chateau d'Angers is in the city of Angers, so you do not really need a car to see it. Chenonceau can be reached by train from Tours, but the trains to there are a few hours apart. I do not know how to get to the others, but I think a car would be handy.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
4,307 Reviews
Amboise, France
Angers
Angers
Maine et Loire, France
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

How many days are you planning for the Chateaux? I would definitely suggest to rent a car - driving is soneasy in the Loire Valley. We allocated 8 days for the Chateaux and visited 12 castles without rushing, at a very reasonable pace.

We had two bases. One near Blois, in Herbault, for Chambord, Cheverny, Chenonceau, Chaumont, Amboise, Blois Chateaux and another one closer to Saumur for Saumur, Montreuil-Bellay, Breze, Montsoreau Chateaux.

On the way from Blois to Saumur we visited Chateaux de Villandry and Azay-le-Rideau.

All Chateaux near Blois were our clear favorites: Chambord, Cheverny and Chenonceau.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 12:53
Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Cheverny
Cheverny
Loire Valley, France
Chaumont
Chaumont
Haute-Marne, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Saumur
Saumur
Maine et Loire, France
Montreuil-Bellay
Montreuil-Bellay
Maine et Loire, France
Montsoreau
Montsoreau
Maine et Loire, France
Villandry
Villandry
Loire Valley, France
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

Thank you for your responses EdT and NoraatC. Based on your suggestions, we are considering renting a car for 3 days and 2 nights, staying at a hotel in Blois, and seeing Chambord, Chenonceau and possibly Cheverny. Will that be enough? Anything else we *must* see while we're in the area? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Cheverny
Cheverny
Loire Valley, France
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

You are very welcome and this is great plan! You can also see Chateau de Blois. Not as festive as Chambord, Cheverny and Chenonceau, but quite interesting inside. And Amboise is not too far from Chenonceau: you can also see Leonardo da Vinci’s house there: Clos Lucé.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 14:01
Mentioned in this post
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
Chateau Royal d'Amboise
4,307 Reviews
Amboise, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Cheverny
Cheverny
Loire Valley, France
Amboise
Amboise
Loire Valley, France
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

I never get the fuss about Chambord - its just a big old barn of a place that's mainly empty. If your'e driving I would give it no more than 30 minutes as a drive by. Cheverny, Chenonceau and Azay le Rideau are what I would consider the standouts, but my favorite Chateaux are Fougeres sur Bievre (late medieval, empty, and good for achictecture fans) and Cande sur Bievre (renaissance, intruiging C20 history)

Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Cheverny
Cheverny
Loire Valley, France
Azay-le-Rideau
Azay-le-Rideau
Loire Valley, France
Fougeres
Fougeres
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

You cannot see Chambord without buying a ticket, so I am not sure how the drive-by would work. And the roof walk, which brings you so close to the elaborate towers and columns , and the double spiral staircase... not even mentioning the most magnificent grounds. Personally, I would never skip Château de Chambord which rightfully deserves its designation of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Château Fougeres sur Bievre is very interesting and not far from Blois, but the empty interior is spoiled by the amusement park type displays for kids. We stopped by on the way back to our hotel (we stayed at the beautiful Château in Herbault, which is closed now).

Edited: 15 May 2018, 21:37
Mentioned in this post
Chambord
Chambord
Loire Valley, France
Fougeres
Fougeres
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Blois
Blois
Loire Valley, France
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

Thanks a lot, folks. A few more questions: is there a fee to see each of the castles? And if yes, is there a discount for buying several passes at the same time? And if yes, where/how do I purchase them?

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau

Yes, there is a fee for each castle. So sorry - I do not know about the discounts for combined tickets. Maybe check the websites for the Chateaux you are interested in?

Reply to: Chambord, Chenonceau, ChateauD'Angers, Azay-Le-Rideau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted