We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From CDG to Amsterdam

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
From CDG to Amsterdam

Hi everybody! My hubby and I are visiting Europe for the first time on October. We’re planning to spend 2 nights in Amsterdam and 7 nights in Paris. But here is my question: I’m not sure if we should go to Amsterdam first, just after arriving to CDG ( we’ll arrive at 12:30 pm), or spending the last 2 days in Amsterdam ( We’ll departing at 12:30 pm from CDG). I’m a little worried about the possibility to miss our returning flight, anticipating any possible trains delays. And I feel I would waste precious time if I travel just after arriving to Paris, since it would be noon and too many things to do! Any advice In how I can arrange my itinerary? :) And apologize for any grammar error, English is not my first language

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
October
October
678 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
646 Reviews
from USD 73.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
703 Reviews
from USD 47.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from USD 101.30*
2 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From CDG to Amsterdam

Well next time fly open jaw (into one city and back from another to avoid backtracking).

I would not personally try to travel from Amsterdam to CDG the day of my flight back home. So I would either sandwich Amsterdam into the center of my trip, perhaps staying in a different area of Paris on my return, or go to Amsterdam at the start. Perhaps you can book a TGV directly from CDG to Brussels, then the Thalys to Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roissy-en-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,099 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From CDG to Amsterdam

If you are arriving at CDG at 12.30, you would not want to book a train departing earlier than 15.30. There is a TGV leaving CDG at 16.07 for Brussels, where you can change to a fast Thalys train to Amsterdam, arriving at 19.42.

For the best prices on these trains, book as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 3 months before travel (often earlier for summer travel), and the cheapest tickets can sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at https://en.oui.sncf/en or www.trainline.eu

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,395 Reviews
Paris, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam