We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone tried buying a SIM card on Amazon? Theres an orange card for for $50 10 gig data with amazon prime. I leave for my trip in 5 days. It has a lot of good reviews but worried being screwed $50.

Or is it possible to buy an Orange or French sim card in London?

Also any recommendations for SIM card for data only? I don't need to make any calls or texts at all. I will be in London 3 days and Paris for 7 days.

I'm trying to avoid buying 2 sim card. Or paying Verizon $10 a day for crap internet.

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if this has been posted a lot, I tried searching but no luck.

Mentioned in this post
Orange
Orange
Vaucluse, France
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
7 replies to this topic
Mesquite, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Although no one responded to your post, I am interested in what you ended up doing and how it worked out.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Although I did not buy this package personally, some posters have reported it works just fine. Note that you must have an unlocked device and be capable of changing the APN settings on your phone if required.

Note that the same card is sold in France at Orange Boutique stores for 40 Euros. At the store, make sure they do all the set up work for you before you leave. Also, be sure to turn off all auto updates so you don't waste data.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Orange
Orange
Vaucluse, France
Le Boutique Hotel
Le Boutique Hotel
981 Reviews
Bordeaux, France
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

There’s more than one Orange company in Europe and they have different products.

If the card that the OP found on Amazon was the Orange France “Holiday” SIM then buying it online would be a good plan, because he was going to the UK first and would not have been able to buy it in a store there. But if your first European country was France it would be safer to simply buy it there from an Orange France shop.

Orange say in their FAQ that the card is “pre-activated” so in theory you should be able to use it without having to activate it in France first.

Mentioned in this post
Orange
Orange
Vaucluse, France
Europe
Europe
World
France
France
Europe
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Yes, I bought the Orange Holiday sim card through Amazon for my trip next month. It was Prime eligible so I had it in two days (one day, actually). I bought the card in advance because the idea of standing in a long line on arrival at the airport, or searching for a local office, is repugnant to me. The Orange Holiday sim gets very good reviews. Not necessarily the cheapest, but strong network and a lot of data in the base price.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

If you are the sort of person who has no idea what the APN is on your phone or why you might need to change it when you put a new SIM in, then you’re probably better off buying the SIM at CDG rather than online.

Orange have finally got their act together at CDG. There isn’t a proper store but there are several kiosks plus the Relay newsagents all sell the Holiday and will get it working for you. You don’t need to stand in line for ages for this.

Don’t buy it online unless you’re capable of following the instructions on the packaging and know basic stuff like how to open your phone’s SIM drawer.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Orange
Orange
Vaucluse, France
Mesquite, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Thank you all for your feedback - it is much appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

If necessary, make sure the Relay agent says he/she can help you with installation before purchasing. Otherwise, it might still be wiser to head to and Orange store in the city.

>>>Orange have finally got their act together at CDG. There isn’t a proper store but there are several kiosks plus the Relay newsagents all sell the Holiday and will get it working for you. You don’t need to stand in line for ages for this.

Mentioned in this post
Orange
Orange
Vaucluse, France
Roissy-en-France, France
Reply to: Buying SIM card on Amazon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted