We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolled motorways France and Italy

2 posts
Save Topic
Tolled motorways France and Italy

Hi everyone,

We are 3 Aussies planning to do a road trip from Dijon to Milan in a rented car (picked up from Dijon) as we would like to avoid issues with the recently announced French train strikes in June 2018.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced using the tolled motorways in these two countries. How do we pay our way in using these tolled roads? Can we use cash or do we have to buy a special pass online? Is it ok to take a rented car from France to Italy one way other than the increase in costs for crossing the border? 2 of us will have an international license before we commence our journey

Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
643 Reviews
from USD 73.00*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
701 Reviews
from USD 47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,266 Reviews
from USD 100.90*
7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

You can get a pass which means you don't need to stop, you can use a credit card at an automated barrier or you can use cash at a manned booth.

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

Make sure any card you use is a chip and pin card, not magnetic stripe or chip and sign. Even with chip and pin, they can occasionally be finicky about foreign cards. Go through the lanes with a green arrow, which shows that all payment is accepted. Do not go through the lanes with a 't' because that means only transponder payment is accepted. Cash is accepted at many, but not all. You can calculate tolls ahead of time on autoroutes dot fr. They can be hefty.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

Most if not all lanes will be marked with a "t" because it means that transponder payment will be accepted, not that the lane is only for transponder payments. The lanes to be avoided are always clearly marked "RÉSERVÉ TÉLÉPÉAGE" and, these days, often have a 30 km/h speed restriction sign as well.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

You can pay cash or credit card. Getting a transponder for a one-off trip is a waste of time & money. In any case you would need different ones in France & Italy. Concerning trains, any that are now on sale for June are guaranteed to run. Travel by train would be much easier than renting a car for this trip.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 07:21
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

You can find the cost of tolls in advance from www.viamichelin.com

Information on driving in France and Italy, including how to pay tolls, is at http://nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchDrive.htm and driventoit.blogspot.com.au

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

We had similar problems with our credit cards at toll booths in France, both with my USA cards and my wife's UK card. But at other times I was able to use my USA debit card. Kind of unpredictable.

We has the same problem at some of the petrol stations. Worked sometimes and not other times. And the procedure for payment often differed. Sometimes you had to visit the window or booth before using the pump even if you were using the card at the machine. Sometimes you went straight to the machine and out, other times you pumped and then paid at the booth/window. And that sometimes changed by time of day. Even more complicated when the booth was not as visible from the entrance.

Twice I had French drivers ask me how to use the pump because even they were confused by the procedure. It became an ongoing betting game between us.

Take the train if its running and avoid driving in Milan.

BTW, have you driven on the other side of the road before? If it's a manual transmission it's weird shifting with the other hand, a problem I have driving in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolled motorways France and Italy

>other than the increase in costs for crossing the border?<

There's no charge for crossing the border, but there is a charge for leaving the car the other side of the border. have you checked how much this is? It is likely to be several hundred euros.

Reply to: Tolled motorways France and Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted