We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Northern France in August - Advice Needed

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days in Northern France in August - Advice Needed

Hello,

I am trying to plan 5 days away in August for myself and my husband (we're late 20s - enjoy experiencing culture, good food and drinks, high-end hotels/boutiques - also this trip is more around relaxing than having super busy days exploring). I've found reasonable euro-tunnel travel which would mean we arrive into Calais at midday on a Wednesday and return evening on the Sunday.

I have been watching Escape to the Chateaux and would love to stay somewhere unique like this - or possibly 2 nights in 2 different towns if this would mean we can see more and if it would enable us to experience some other attractions. I've never been to France so have no idea of suitable places to visit, and if the Northern region is the right place to visit!

1. Can anyone recommend any towns/areas we should consider looking at? (bearing in mind we are travelling in and out of Calais - we're happy to drive a few hours but don't want to be in the car for too long)

2. Are there any specific hotels/accommodations anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any advice you can share

Jessica

1 reply
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Northern France in August - Advice Needed

Identify or itemize your travel priorities and travel tastes or goals for other part of France. This region is fairly large and far ranging geographically speaking. Can you delimit or identify departments that appeal to you? The towns for setting up camp in a single place can vary with the multitude of places you can choose from in this vast area from the Belgium border to Brittany. What is it about northern France that makes you want to travel there? What do you mean by Northern France? There are so many of places to select but you have to identify your travel priorities. The Calais area has information relative to staying there. Read about it on the website and research the region. Pick a few travel books that have more than hotel prices - cultural guides preferably - and read them. Chateaux country in the Loire valley is pretty far from Calais. Travel by train if possible. You do not want to move around often that you are hurriedly rushing through France. Hope this helps.

Reply to: 5 Days in Northern France in August - Advice Needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted