We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs Duties

Phoenix, Arizona
6 posts
Save Topic
Customs Duties

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but maybe someone can help.

I'll be travelling to Michigan from France later this year and I plan on bringing wine with me. Does anyone know the duties for over 1 liter?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from USD 73.00*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from USD 47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from USD 100.80*
3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,784 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs Duties

It’s unlikely anyone in France will know about customs duty in the US. Try the US forum or the CBP website.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 19:02
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,045 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs Duties

Customs will apply the laws of the state into which you first enter. Some states are very liberal, others not so much. The one liter applies to the federal limit without duty.

If you are entering the USA via a Michigan airport, the state limits are:

Gold A GraphicPursuant to MCL 436.1203, state liquor laws require persons who wish to bring any type of alcoholic beverage into Michigan for personal consumption to obtain prior written approval of the Commission with the following exceptions:

A person of legal age who has been outside the U.S. territorial limits for at least 48 hours and has not brought alcoholic liquor into Michigan during the past 30 days, may bring up to one liter into Michigan without prior approval and,

https:/…a16

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,045 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs Duties

I didn´t add the second part of the Michigan regulation concerning alcohol importation because it states that the limit applies to bottles brought in from another state:

_____

A person of legal age may bring up to 312 ounces of alcoholic liquor that contains less than 21% alcohol by volume (about 24-12 ounce containers of beer or 12-750 ml containers of wine) from another state without prior approval.

_____

If Michigan allows 12 bottle of wine to be brought in from another state, the question is does France qualify as another state? Second question, will you need to pay duty to US Customs for any amount over 1 liter? Another important question, are you flying from France directly into DTW?

You probably need to make a few phone calls if you want to carry more than a bottle of wine.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Reply to: Customs Duties
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted