We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

Having dinner and the app said I would be charged 10 Euros for the ride back to our hotel. I accepted. Mohammed got lost and we felt bad (error) so we gave him a generous tip. Got home to see an email that we’d been charged 23 Euros! Wrong pickup and delivery address quoted. BEWARE! Will take a taxi next time.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,846 Reviews
from USD 37.60*
USD 44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from USD 110.40*
9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
526 reviews
1. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

1 post wonder.

Any issues with uber you have to contact them and they fix it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,094 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

Did you report it to Uber and ask or a refund? Maybe try that before complaining of being ripped off.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,940 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

I don't know why you would tip a driver who got lost? Whether an Uber or a taxi driver, it's their responsibility to know the roads. Imagine if a taxi driver got lost, takes double the time, while the meter keeps running. Maybe you wouldn't have been so sympathetic then?

As far as the Uber overcharging issue goes, you need to contact Uber. Nobody here knows the exact situation.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

Thanks, it just happened (last night), I’ll give it a try. Not sure how to contact them but I’m sure I can figure it out. It doesn’t make sense to me that it could even happen, my 10 Euros was “accepted” when I made the reservation and then I got an email when we got home and it had changed to 23 Euros.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,094 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

You can dispute the trip charge directly on the Uber app.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

OK got a refund of 10 Euros, kudos to Uber. Still somewhat confused about how a unilateral increase to the agreed upon rate, which I’d paid and agreed to, can even occur without my prior knowledge and agreement. Will continue to use Uber, did for a subsequent trip to the train station and left a 5 Euro tip on a 20 Euro ride; love the service and this was my only bad experience.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

Uber had to leave Denmark due to problems with the law. Among their roughly 1200 drivers, about 4 were paying the taxes they ought to pay. Don´t know if it´s better in France, but it´s amazing how these aspects are often ignored. I understand that Uber just lost an important case against the French authorities in the EU, on the 10th of April this year.

Edited: 28 May 2018, 21:17
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

The aforementioned case is in relation with the banning by French authorities of UberPop (the Uber service that was using non-professional drivers driving their own car on their free time) in 2014. The EU stated (for the second time) that France was within their legal rights to do this ban.

Uber has also received a lot of criticism in France regarding the bad social protection of their drivers, and is now trying to make better by them, by increasing their coverage in case of an accident happening during their work.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?

An informative post, thank you.

Reply to: Didn’t know Uber could rip you off?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted