We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burgundy to Lyon

3 posts
Save Topic
Burgundy to Lyon

Hello! I'm trying to plan a trip of a lifetime and it's really a lot to manage! Basically, I'm trying to get from Burgundy (leaning more towards Beaune than Dijon) to Lyon, so we can catch a flight to Seville, Spain. I'm struggling to figure out how to get here. I was looking at Flix Bus, but I don't see a route in September that we need. Then I was looking at Rhone Express, but the reviews are terrible and the website isn't the easiest. Is there a way I'm missing?

I'd love to hear any travel tips for this leg of our trip and any input on if we should stay in Beaune or Dijon. It's 2 30 year old friends looking to relax and drink wine after the hustle and bustle of Paris :)

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Rhone
Rhone
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from USD 72.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from USD 47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from USD 100.70*
5 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burgundy to Lyon

Any reason why you can't take the train? Check out www.oui.sncf or www.trainline.eu for times and costs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,405 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burgundy to Lyon

The Rhone Express is a tram that runs between Lyon airport and Lyon Part Dieu station.

Mentioned in this post
Rhone
Rhone
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burgundy to Lyon

I know much of the train route that you might be contemplating from Dijon or Burgundy to Lyons. Beaune is worth your time for different reasons. It is a good route as Lyon can be a good starting port for getting by train to Spain later. Go by train. Landscape through areas close to the Pyrenees will amaze you on the train for much of the journey. Both Dijon and Beaune should be included in your vacation plans. Dijon probably has better connections by train, but do not dismiss Beaune for that reason alone. Beaune is a set piece worth admiration especially if you like to study architectural design and building preservation. Near-by to the south is the city with monumental importance for church construction at Tournus with romanesque architectural design for French history. Cluny is close to the area. See it if you take time to see Beaune. Same historical importance relatively speaking for vastly different dimensions of cultural importance. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Dijon
Dijon
Cote d'Or, France
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Tournus
Tournus
Saone-et-Loire, France
Cluny
Cluny
Saone-et-Loire, France
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Burgundy to Lyon

The Rhone Express doesn't translate to English on all of the pages so I can't see a route from Beaune to Lyon airport.

Mentioned in this post
Rhone
Rhone
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burgundy to Lyon

There's always Google Translate or a dictionary, but sydneyexpress has already pointed out to you that Rhonexpress is a TRAM that doesn't go anywhere near Beaune - it runs between Lyon Part Dieu station (Lyon's main station) and the airport.

So, take the TRAIN from Beaune to Lyon Part-Dieu and then change for the Rhonexpress TRAM to the airport

Mentioned in this post
Rhonexpress
Rhonexpress
156 Reviews
Lyon, France
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Reply to: Burgundy to Lyon