We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Hello,

I have come up with a list of places we want to visit during our camping car trip to Champagne in May.

Are there any you would remove from the list or more importantly, add on?

Reims

Epernay

Verzy (Perching bar by reservation)

Troys

Provins

Châlonsen-Champagne

hautvillers (picnic spot, views!)

Château-Thierry

Laon

Avize (day visit en route?)

Vertus (day visit en route?)

Chaumont? Little visit?

Stay over near chaumont - froncles aire and near campsite

Thank you very much in advance!

Poppy and Glyn, Jersey Channel Islands

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,845 Reviews
from USD 37.50*
USD 44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from USD 109.90*
9 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

So, that's 12 places.

How long is your trip?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Thank you for getting back to us, it's 2 weeks, but some of those smaller places I can imagine are only an hour or two visiting driving through to get to the other towns. Happy scrap them off the list if we find better. Are we missing any of the best places? Many thanks :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,850 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

I'll post some links to photo reports I've written about exploring that area when I'm at my computer later.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Very kind thank you.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Yes, some of them are "small things" but you could ealisly spend 2 days in Reims and some of the other places you have on your list, and not see everything. Lots of them are long days out and some are a long-ish drive too (eg Provins).

I might add the Lighthouse at Verzenay, that would make a quirky visit.

You could also spend a day or 2 driving the Champagne Road and just seeing what you find in some of the smaller towns and villages.....

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

Thank you for this, good to here some places can be done in two days! Thank you for the lighthouse suggestion, I will research that! Hope we haven't missed any little gems out of the list! :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,850 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

I'm posting a link to another thread where I commented about the Champagne region. There is a lot of info in this thread below that is relevant to your trip but some is not because I was answering a few specific questions. But the links to my 3 photo reports are in there and they basically cover champagne region of the Marne River Valley north up to and including Laon and environs.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k93306…

Pay attention to the general advice about Michelin maps and tourist office websites. If you're interested in WWI sites there are quite a few in the area. The Chemin des Dames is a great site/area for WWI with its museum La Caverne du Dragon. There are also war cemeteries and memorials and one of the most moving war memorials I've ever seen is Les Fantômes, done by the sculptor Paul Landowski (famous for his Christ statue in Rio).

https://www.chemindesdames.fr/fr

http://aisne.com/Les-fantomes-de-Landowski

There are some beautiful country drives in the area south of Laon and you'll note the designated scenic roads in the area on the Michelin map. Worth a visit in this area is the art deco church Eglise Saint-Martin Martigny-Courpierre.

https://www.tourisme-paysdelaon.com/A-faire/…

If you're near the village of Septmonts that' s charming little village with an impressive castle ruin.

tourisme-soissons.fr/Loisirs-et-Activites/Mu…

The drive along the north bank of the Marne River from Epernay in the east to Crouttes-sur-Marne in the west is pretty and the north bank is lined with vineyards. West of Château-Thierry on the north bank of the river the villages of Chézy-sur-Marne, Nanteuil and Charly-sur-Marne are nice, but not extraordinary.

My photo reports cover all the sites/places I mentioned and a lot more but they are limited to that area bewteen the Marne River and Laon.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 07:03
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

This is very helpful indeed! Thank you for your time :D ! We will be sure to do lots of your suggestions, Much appreciated

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,850 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)

You're welcome. :)

Reply to: Champagne Region - My list, yes, no or any more? :)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted