We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

4 posts
Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

I’m a college student from states, Boston.

I was wondering if I can do France and Switzerland comfortably in 14 days in the month of April.

I have zero knowledge about how to even start with forming an itenery or even calculating approximately how much it would cost me. Any help?

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,893 Reviews
from USD 39.60*
USD 44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,294 Reviews
from USD 110.10*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
9 replies to this topic
4 posts
1. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

I believe it’s important to talk about my interests as well to help you guys help me.

This would be my first solo trip.. I’m usually attracted to museums, good food, sceneries, nature, I enjoy art and architecture. I don’t drink. I also love football (soccer). I have never watched a soccer match live in real life.. I know I will enjoy Disney Park in Paris stuff like that.

I’m not that much into night life and don’t care for it for the most part

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

The words Switzerland and budget don't really go together so I would delete that country from your planning.

Yes of course it is entirely possible to do France in 14 days but you will have to do a little more research with some guide books. France is (by European standards) a big country with distinct regions

Looking at your likes Paris would be an obvious base for several days - with planning you should also be able to see a live football game, take in Euro Disney and get your fill of history.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

Bonjour, Bhagirath,

I agree that Switzerland is expensive. With only 14 days, it would be difficult to "do" two countries.

One way to determine costs is to look up hotel costs in the Trip Advisor forum for a specific city, such as Paris (France) or Lucerne (Switzerland). A category for Hotels is listed at the top of the page under the green-shaded area. Read the reviews and then ask for opinions in Trip Advisor.

Paris:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g18714…

Lucerne:

https:/…ShowForum-g188064-i573-Lucerne.html

It would also be useful to consult a current guidebook to get an idea of hotel costs, meals costs and itinerary suggestions.

Good luck with your planning.

MrsJAS

4 posts
4. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

Bonjour!

I want to thank you for replying ! I do agree with you Switzerland would end up being too expensive for me. I’ll cut it down to just France then.

Other than Paris what other cities in France would you recommend ?

4 posts
5. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

Hi thank you so much for replying !

I will definitely check out those forums.. listening to the person above you, I am wondering if I am to cut Switzerland from the trip. What other cities would you suggest in France for the trip?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

I agree with the others that Switzerland is not a destination for a budget traveler.

As for France, your possibilities are endless. There are other cities that are interesting of course, but also smaller towns, villages, chateaux, many natural beauties that are all located in different regions of France.

You might want to start looking at the different regions to see if one or two attract you more. https://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/ and http://www.francethisway.com/regions.php

You have many factor to weight. Each time you move will cost you more. So you could select fewer destination and make easy and cheap day trips from there. Paris is great for that with a transportation pass ( Navigo Decouverte ) you can have unlimited travel all over the department of Île-de-France for an entire week.

Some destinations need a long distance train trip on a TGV or Intercité train which have to be bought when the tickets become available (at least 3 - 4 months in advance depending on the time of the year ) if you want the lowest prices possible. But there are also TER train (local trains) that have fixed price so you can buy them the day before without any problem. Look at the SNCF website or trainline.eu

If you will use only public transportation that could also factor your choice of destination. but larger the town of the city and more chance that you will have more option for public transportation.

To minimize the cost of travel you could also consider to arrive in one city and leave from another further away so you won't have to backtrack.

Good luck with your planning !

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

@ plannerhaolic (and anybody else who cares to weigh in:)

If the original poster is not going to Switzerland, I am thinking that Annecy will be a good place for beauty. Would he fly out of Geneva? I have no idea of the cost of staying in Annecy.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

Annecy is indeed lovely but it's a little bit remote and lacks of public transportation links to be able to have a longer stay there. It might be a nice day trip from Lyon though to consider if the OP heads that way.

I believe that you can reach Geneva from there but I'm not totaly familiar with that. Otherwise if the OP goes to Annecy as a day trip from Lyon he might have some opportunities from there. Otherwise it's easy to go back to either Paris or CDG.

There are so many possibilities. But if the OP has the budget and wants to see a more cities with a few nights stay in each, it could be possible. It could be anywhere in France I'm having difficulties putting one city before another one. It really depends on his taste, interest. What he's looking for for he's trip. Strasbourg, Dijon, Lyon of further south Avignon, Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Montpellier, Nice. If he decides to go West instead it could be as many possibilities.

That's why I suggested to have a look at the different regions of France first and try to see what appeals to him.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days

Thank you, plannerhaolic. Annecy looks beautiful in its pictures. I saw on Trainline that it has limited transportation links.

My next choice would be Nice because it seems to meet the original poster's interests and has lovely scenic views along the Mediterranean.

Reply to: Budget trip to France and Switzerland in 14 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted