We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub food?restaurants derby area

uk
Level Contributor
394 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Pub food?restaurants derby area

can anyone suggest restaurants,quiet foodie pubs .staying duffield,off matlock road.only place ive tried so for is a really nice pub called the rose and crown,dont know exactly where it is but great food

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

Do you want a good pub or do you want food?

The Victoria at Beeston between Nottingham and Derby is one of the best pubs in UK for real ale and does reasonable food.

Setting is suburban and it's close to station.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

There is a Rose and Crown on the Derby-Mansfield Road at the traffic lights where the road to West Hallam and Ilkeston goes off. It has a long standing good reputation, I haven't eaten there.

The Hanging Gate at Belper is open all day good food even though its one of a chain. Its in the country on the Ashbourne Road towards Turnditch. I go there a couple of times a year.

The (Profanity Deleted) Inn at Mugginton used to be good, haven't tried it for some time.

The Black Swan at Idridgehay is more pricey restaurant style but nice.

The Fox and Hounds in Coxbench has converted from a no-smoking pub to a restaurant also a bit pricey but nice.

Let me know when you are ready to try something further out !

uk
Level Contributor
394 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

thanks,i will munch my way through that list.I have been to the hanging gate-desserts to die for- and look forward to the rest

uk
Level Contributor
394 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

to wasleys-good food, neither of use really drink

uk
Level Contributor
394 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

i like pubs cos they tend to be better value.

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

I have had some really bad meals (both for food and particularly service) at the Black Swan in Idridgehay - so am now not going. Agree that the Hanging Gate is good value. However if you travel abit further on the same road into Wirksworth - can recommend The Mistral. Bistro type food - and their Chocolate Chilli Cake is worth trip alone!

Also excellent value for good British standards is The Tiger Inn near Shottle. If you go at lunchtime they do some excellent bargains.

The Indian restaurant in Duffield is good (by railway bridge on A6) - can't remember it's name... is it The Viceroy?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

Yes, I think its the Viceroy, on Hazelwood Road near the school. Previously it was a French restaurant called La Duvelle.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

The New Inn just north of Milford on the A6 has starters at 5 pounds, mains 9-15. Run by Italian couple, generally good food, nice atmosphere, service good, walking distance from Duffield ?

Coach and Horses at Fenney Bentley north of Ashbourne, best of breed alcohol-free beer (Bitburger Lite) plus good menu and welcome. Car park a little small since dining room extended.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

The Great Northern, 1 mile North of Mickleover on Station Road has recently been upgraded throughout. The food is inventive, main courses from 7 to 12 pounds. There is Bitburger Lite and reliably excellent coffee.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub food?restaurants derby area

I've been to the Coach and Horses in Fenny Bentley and I found the food to be seriously lacking! Soups tasted like they were made from packets, chips tasted like they were frozen (no flavour), bread was stale and cold, prices were very high...considering its only a pub! I have had friends try it as well and have found it to be very over priced, poor tasting food and very slow service.

On the other hand, I have been to Tastes Restaurant in Ashbourne and have had excellent service, very tasty food and fair prices. I have also been to The Dining Room in Ashbourne, small restaurant, food was superb, abit pricey...but soooo tasty! Well worth a visit.