We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Weekend - What to do???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Long Weekend - What to do???

My sister and I are staying at the Marriott in Feb from Thursday - Monday. We just want to get out of London for a bit so we booked the hotel. Now we are getting worried as to what exactly we are going to be doing for all that time.

Anyone have any suggestions as to shopping, restaurants, pubs etc that we should check out? Also is it expensive for taxi service to/from town to the hotel??

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

Hi,

I assume you're staying at the Breadsall Priory? If so this is about 5 miles outside the city. Taxis shouldn't be too bad but you'll need one to get anywhere because the hotel is rather remote! Derby has a brand new shopping centre called Westfield which includes all the usual department stores. It isn't exactly Oxford Street, but is OK. If you want more shopping you can always check out Nottingham, which is a short train ride (regular service). Derby has a reasonable collection of city centre pubs & restaurants, but I'm a bit past nights out in the city centre so I'll leave that to others! You won't lack good food & drink though!

It would be a bit of a shame if you came to Derby & didn't go further into the peak district. There are some great places to visit where you can just chill in tea rooms or wander around gift shops. If you fancy this check out the "transpeak" bus service (http://www.transpeak.co.uk/). Matlock Bath is a bit of a tourist destination with cable cars to the heights of Abraham & various shops. Bakewell is a nice town & home of the 'proper' Bakewell pudding (not tart!!!), Ashford-in-the-water is a picturesque little village with some good local pubs, or Buxton is a bit further out & is worth a wander.

Marc

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

We are staying at the Breadsall Priory.

Thank you sooo much for all the wonderful suggestions!!

Any specific tea rooms that you know to be good? Any specific restaurants/pubs to check out?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

The taxi fare into town would be about £10, perhaps a bit more to the rail station. The hotel website talks about a £5 shuttle. It also mentions a Crown Derby China tour.

The hotel is in the country with space for walking on the grounds/golf course. To walk round the grounds on the country roads is about 3 miles. There is a long distance footpath passing through the North East corner of the grounds. The village of Breadsall is about 1.5 miles - I don't know the pub here but I will try to get some info.

For out of town restaurants nearby you could try Darleys or The Fox and Hounds, both around £7 by taxi I guess. In town you could try Zest (need to book ahead) or Massa, I'm assuming that being from London you may used to what we in Derby would consider above-average prices ! If not La Tasca, one of a chain of tapas bars is in my view the best medium-priced place with Le Bistrot Pierre pushing it for that tile.

The north end of Derby Centre has more mature 'outdoor' shopping than Westfield with some excellent clothes shops and Bennetts a household shop with countrywear, a cafe and a brasserie.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

Hello

Marriott is a short distance from Derby, you will need to use taxis to get into the city though. You might like to ask at the hotel they might have a shuttle service.

There's lots to do and see in Derby and also in the Peak District and Derbyshire, two good websites to try are www.visitpeakdistrict.com and www.visitderby.co.uk

There's plenty of choice for food in Derby, depending on what cuisine you like. I went to Zizzi's in Derby on Monday night and we had a really good meal, it's Italian and average price for a 3 course meal and a decent bottle of wine was £55 for two people. I have tried most restaurants in Derby, The Haus (English Continental) is good, Le Bistrot Pierre (French), Shalimar (Indian).

Derby has a new shopping centre Westfield which opened in October last year, there's also the Cathedral Quarter and Lanes areas of Derby, where you will find some really nice individual shops.

Whilst you are in the city centre you could visit the Tourist Information Centre in the Market Place, Derby, they will be able to give you ideas of places to visit around and about Derby and also give you public transport information so it doesn't cost you too much in taxi fares.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Derby.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

Breadsall Priory is a good hotel in a pleasant rural setting (golf also).

Whilst Matlock /Matlock Bath is a nice place to visit, I would recommend Wirksworth - a very pleasant tearoom in Crown walk... lots of craft shops / arty shops / good pubs / small museum. Wirksworth is more upmarket than Matlock Bath but also inexpensive. Wirksworth has a growing international reputation for its annual Arts Festival (an autumn event, as I recall).

btw, I drove through Matlock today and it looks as though the cable car is closed - for Winter I guess.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

IF you like visiting Stately Homes, Kedleston Hall is probably the nearest to Derby:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

Chatsworth rightly known IMO as 'The Palace of The Peaks' is well worth a visit if you can find a way to get there:

http://www.chatsworth.org/

And Haddon Hall is also delightful to visit:

http://www.haddonhall.co.uk/

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

I am sorry to say Kedleston is closed for the winter and reopens in March, otherwise it would also have my recommendation for your visit.

8. Re: Long Weekend - What to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 20:19