We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working and living in Derby

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Working and living in Derby

Hi,

Im from Australia and have been offered a job in Derby. Im in my mid-twenties and want to know what its really like living in Derby before I accept the position? Can anyone give me a bit of an idea about nightlife/meeting ppl etc. Thanks.

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working and living in Derby

I have lived in Derbyshire for c. 12 years and it has improved greatly over this time. Derby has a University and hence a large student population. It is also quite culturally diverse which I think is great. So whilst not as well served as some of the bigger cities (e.g. Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham etc) it does have clubs, plenty of pubs and has definately improved in the quantity and quality of cafes and restaurants.

Derby has a significant football and cricket team if that is of interest - with major local sports grounds. Also it is a relatively short drive to some of the best countryside and industrial history in England. The major cities I have also listed above are not too far away so good for concerts, clubbing, shopping etc. You are also well placed for road (M1 etc), rail (London c 2hrs) and airports (East Midlands, Birmingham and Manchester.

Derbyshire folk are friendly and welcoming.... I think it is a good place to live. Downside....It can be cold, wet and generally grey.... but that is UK weather.... and we do have summer sometimes!

derby
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Working and living in Derby

charlie

Come to Derby It really is the centre of the universe. The Real Difference is that you will be welcomed so quickly and treated as one of the town. We don't have fancy airs and graces we are just a city of people getting on with life and having a good time. We are very central and so it is very easy for you to get to visit the rest of the country. The first post is right in that we are culturally diverse and have increasing numbers from the EU and further afeild. Rather than this creating problems it seems that all are fitting into the Derby way of life.

Culture will get much better as the decade comes to an end as more and more investment brings our Quad arts centre to Life and I hope others will follow.

We have a mix of chain eateries and some more upmarket and cerebal places to eat ( like mine.... Soul on Green Lane).....

Ourr footie team is suffering a bit at the moment as we are at the bottom of the league... but hope springs eternal and maybe the New Year will see us rise out of the mire! The team is the heart of this predominateley working class small city... when we are on the up and recounting past glories the production goes through the roof!!!!... Biggest exports recently from the city are Rolls Royce Aero ( Biggest employer) and of course Lara Croft!!!

You should take the job and come the the friendliest city in the UK

Good luck Robin

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Working and living in Derby

Hi

Derby is a really friendly city, I have lived here all my life and work in the tourist industry, so have travelled around the country but have never come across a friendlier place.

The city is recently going through major changes including a new shopping centre which opened in October 07. The Quad centre opens this year as does a new bus station, Riverlights which is a development around the river area of the city which includes the bus station, new hotels, new offices so there is a big buzz around at the moment.

Nightlife is good, there are some nightclubs but most of the bars stay open late and I go out quite regularly and rarely see trouble.

I think you'll really enjoy living and working in Derby. Try looking at some of the city's websites, there's one I think called marketing Derby and the tourist info site called Visit Derby, you'll have to google them as I don't know the sites off top of my head.

Have fun and hope you make the right decision to come to Derby!

Col

London
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Working and living in Derby

You have a choice of citys near by, I work in Derby and live in Birmibgham (1-1.5 hrs drive or train). Derby is improving as a place to live but i would prefer Birmingham or Nottingham as larger city's. Depends what you want though! There's quite a large Australian contingent in Birmingham as well.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working and living in Derby

Hi Charlie,

Derby isn't a big cosmopolitan place - it's actually a farily small city. There are good places to eat and drink but there are also places you wouldn't go - like any other city I guess. Good things that I like about Derby are its location - it's easy to get into some great countryside, hop on a train to London, Birmingham etc and its people - Derby folk are generally friendly. However, I have to say that for a young single there are more exciting places to go & you would find yourself using those trains to get to Nottingham or Birmingham for any major theatre, concerts etc.

6. Re: Working and living in Derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 07:17