We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

liverpool
Level Contributor
137 posts
54 reviews
Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Hi,I have been reading the reviews for the popular hotels unfortunately they are not very good.I am organising a xmas party weekend for about 15 couples but I am thinking of looking elswhere as the reviews have put me off.

Ken

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

The Midland Hotel has a reasonably good reputation. It is a Best Western. Located right next to the train station and just a short walk / bus ride into town. For something abit more upmarket - there is the Breadsall Priory - country house hotel. Nice grounds and has Spa, pool and golf course. Stayed at the Breadsall Priory a few times - service was good and food OK. Nice rooms. To get into Derby you would need a car / taxi - c. 15mins away. I suppose it depends what your budget is?

liverpool
Level Contributor
137 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Thanks for the reply,I have tried the Midland unfortunately they are booked for the weekend I want.It is a pity that so many of the hotels get poor reviews as I really did fancy trying Derby.

Cheers Ken

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
3. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Apart from the Marriott, the other large upmarket hotel in Derby is the Mickleover Court, 4 miles out near the A38 South / A50 West.

liverpool
Level Contributor
137 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Thanks Dave,the thing is we like to be able to walk into the centre wherever we go .

cheers Ken

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
5. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

There are several other hotels within walking distance of the city centre. The ones that my visitors recommend and return to are the Midland which doesn't have the rooms you require, the European across the road from the Midland, or perhaps you could split the booking, and the Holiday Inn Express.

liverpool
Level Contributor
137 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Thanks again Dave,European loks as though it might suit us,will give them a ring tomorrow.

Cheers Ken

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
7. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Dear Ken

Check out the Tourist Information Centre website www.visitderby.co.uk, all hotels on the site are quality assessed with star ratings so you should get something to suit.

You will need to look at the bigger hotels for Christmas parties and they do get booked up, so book soon.

Regards

Coltic

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Hi BigDave,

Have you ever stayed at the Stuart hotel in Derby and if not do you know anything about it?

I also need to know how close it is to the Derbyshire County Cricket Club on the Nottingham Road?

Also how close is it to the Normanton Rd?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
261 reviews
9. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Well Westmoreland, I haven't stayed at the Royal Stuart but I have had visitors who have. It is on a main road opposite the hospital and about 5 minutes walk from the shops. The cricket ground is about 20 minutes walk. Normanton Road is 10 minutes uphill. The Trip Advisor comments are highly variable, most people either love it or hate it. The reception area is very modern.

There is a Days Hotel right on the Cricket Ground site. This is 5 minutes from the cricket and 15 from town and rates number 5 on TA. It is fairly new. There are traditional city pubs within 5 minutes.

Alternatives would be the Holiday Inn Express and the European Inn, the latter is not far from the Royal Stuart so the distances are similar.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Are there any good hotelsin Derby?

Hi BigDave,

Thanks for your reply I saw one of your postings and thought you may of stayed there.

You've given me some great information so thanks for that, and I did try to get the Days hotel but it was fully booked when I checked yesterday.

We are attending a family wedding but our plans have been messed up a bit, so I had to make an urgent booking yesterday and ended up with the Stuart.

I viewed a few reviews yesterday after I asked you for informaion and some are good and some not so.

The only thing that most seemed to be saying is that the rooms are small just hope it's not very tight lol!

I'm quiet easy going and so long as it's clean comfortable with a good shower that's all we need on this occasion as we are attending a wedding this weekend not forgetting pleasant staff.

I see the food can be pricey but it's BD on Thursday so it's also my little treat hopefully.

I'll tell you how it goes, thanks again.