We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the nearest beach to sligo town

n.ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Hope someone can help me here.

I plan to ask my girlfriend to marry me when we go on a trip to sligo in 5 weeks and i was wondering if anyone would know if there is a beach close to sligo town, needs to be very close and as private as possible as i plan to write a message in the sand .

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give

thanks

jamie

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

WOW...how romantic Jamie,

Not sure what beach is the nearest but you have a choice between Enniscrone,Standhill & Rosses Point.

Good Luck.....keep us posted.

Mary

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Rosses Point tends to be quieter than Strandhill especially if you go early or later in the day. A lot of surfers and other stuff going on at Strandhill.

Hope she says YES!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

From memory, Enniscrone has some fairly tall dunes which would give you privacy. Make sure you don't write your proposal as the tide is coming in!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Irishracer - that is so romantic!

Enniscrone would be too far to drive to from Sligo town, write your message and come back again. Strandhill and Rosses Point would prob be too busy at the weekend. You would also need to check the times of the tides to make sure your message isn't rubbed out by the water!

I think you should consider writing it somewhere along the strand on the drive out to Coney Island, this will def require some planning but would have great impact! To get there just take the road from Sligo town towards Strandhill, about 3 miles out you will see a small sign that points for a right turn to Coney Island. Go down this road and it will bring you straight along to the strand where you can drive to Coney Island (providing tide is out) - you could pick a spot somewhere along here just off the main track where the cars drive. Another option might be to write it in pebbles.

There is also another option. If you go through the upper part of Strandhill village, past the Dunes Pub, about a half a mile away there is a little road to the right, no signpost, but follow this and it will bring you to Cullenamore beach which is generally only frequented by locals. When the tide is out here you will have loads and loads of sand to write your message on.

Best of luck with it I hope she says yes - let us know how you get on!

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Strandhill beach is too rough for writing on the sand, Rosses Point is a much better behaved beach for that type of thing! As others have said though, Rosses Point can be busy but depending on the tides you'll have the option of the '3rd' beach at Rosses Point which is easy to get to when the tide is out and is usually deserted, or you can scramble over some rocks if the tide is further in.

So to try to describe it, the 1st beach is a small beach that runs along where the carpark is, then there's an outcrop of rock with a small cliif that marks the line in to the 2nd beach. The 2nd beach is much longer and take maybe 15 minutes or so to walk and is marked at the end by another small cliff and a rocky outcrop. If the tide is out you can walk around these rocks in to the 3rd beach and people rarely venture there - it's very quiet and you can write away to your hearts content!

Good luck!!

n.ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Wow thank you very much for all your help, looks like its between Rosses Point and Cullenamore beach, the pebbles idea is brilliant.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks.

Jamie.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 03:14
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

I hope she doesn't read TA lol

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

In Rosses Point even if the tide is in you can walk along the edge of the Golf Course to the third beach....Good luck

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Definetly worth checking out a beach called the Lower Rosses , A lovely secluded beach within approx 4 miles of Sligo town in the same direction as Rosses Point .It is a very quiet beach with panoramic views of Ben Bulben mountain & Lisadell . Generally used by the odd dog walker & horse trainers.The photo on my profile is actually taken at the Lower Rosses.

Can be difficult to find so you will need to do a trial run before the big day.

If weather stays dry it can feel like paradise in any season,

Very romantic - good luck

n.ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where is the nearest beach to sligo town

Hi thanks for your post.

I was just wondering if you would have any directions to Lower Rosses as it sounds very nice

I'm struggling to find the right beach, i will be traveling down soon to pick one and would be very grateful for any help

Thanks

Jamie

Get answers to your questions about Sligo