We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mullanalaghta or Granard places of interest?

Waretown, NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mullanalaghta or Granard places of interest?

I am planning on stopping by this area to to see if I can find some history on my grandmother, and wanted to see if there were other sites of interest that might merit a few days of exploring (and to keep my companions from getting bored!). I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

1 reply
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mullanalaghta or Granard places of interest?

I'm from around this area so i have a few suggestions.

Granard town doesn't have much to offer in terms of tourist attractions, however the area has a lot of very beautiful lakes. A short distance from Granard you can find Lock Gowna (lake). there are ruins of an old monastery on an island in the lake, however the island is privately owned and used for agriculture so getting there may be a problem as there are no boats. The best thing would be to ask in a local Post Office or pub if they know of anyone who would be interested in helping some tourists.

There are some good proper Irish pubs in the area. John Donohoe's is a great place to get a feel for Old Ireland. There is a motte and Bailey just behind the church at the top of the town which is worth climbing on a nice day for the view alone (longfordtourism.ie/see-do/…)

Derrycassan woods is close to Grandard which is very nice for a stroll around.

If you are willing to drive a little further, it's worth going to Ardagh, (about 40 mins drive) which is steeped in history. Have a look at Longford and Cavan tourism websites for more ideas. Grandard is directly between both towns so they are both very accessible.

Enjoy the visit!

Reply to: Mullanalaghta or Granard places of interest?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about County Longford