We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days - Itinerary

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
3 days - Itinerary

I will be travelling with my daughters, 13 and 16, April 8 to 11. We are staying at the Lake Hotel and I have several questions I hope can be answered.

1. Itinerary ideas include:

Dingle

Gap of Dunloe

Blasket Islands

Rong of Kerry

Skillig Michael

Torc Waterfall

Muckross House

I am not sure how much to tackle in three days, please advise. I cannot get a real feel for distance between sites. We will have a car.

2. I know the area is extremely tourisy, we love to go "off the beaten path" as well when travelling. Suggestions?

3. We land at Shannon Airport, what is the easiest way to get to Killarney and is that drive scenic? Are there landmarks along the way worth seeing?

4. Restaurant recommendations appreciated, although we love "pub food" so if asking around and going by word of mouth is best, we can do that as well.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

The journey planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie will give you the route from Shannon to Killarney,you can use the Shannon Ferry www.shannonferries.com from Killimer to Tarbert.

Dingle deserves at least one full day,set off early for the Slea Head drive & then in the afternoon have a wander around the town.Its about an hour from Killarney to Dingle without stopping at Inch beach !!! Lots of stops on the Slea Head drive.

You may also want ot visit the Blasket Islands by ferry which you can do from the pier in Dingle & Dunquin www.blasketislands.ie & www.dinglebaycharters.com

A boat trip to see Fungie the dolphin & a visit to Oceanworls aquarium are other possibilities.

www.dodingle.com

www.dingle-peninsula.ie

www.dingle-region.com

www.dinglenews.com

For things to do in Killarney www.killarney.ie

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,299 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

You are arriving on Easter Sunday.

The easiest way to get to Killarney from Shannon is through Limerick.

When approaching the outskirts of Limerick take the signs for the Shannon Tunnel (toll €2 one way). When exiting the tunnel, continue on. Keep looking out for the signs for Killarney and Tralee and Adare.

If you follow the signs, eventually the motorway will fizzle out and you will end up in the beautiful village of Adare www.adarevillage.com Definately worth a stop. The Heritage Centre (on the right hand side after the church) is a lovely place to stop for a coffee and a bathroom break.

Then just follow the signs down. You will pass through Newcastlewest and Abbeyfeale and will bypass Castleisland. Eventually you will come to Farranfore (passing Kerry International Airport on your left just before you arrive!!). Take a left at Farranfore and about 20 minutes later you will be in Killarney.

In terms of restaurants, Macs of Main Street is our personal favourite. The food is consistently good and the staff are lovely. Milanos is also nice but its a chain. There are a lot of nice restaurants in Killarney but these two are our favourite.

My suggestion would be to visit Muckross Gardens and Torc Waterfall the day you arrive. Muckross House has a lovely restaurant and you can have a light lunch overlooking the gardens.

Allow yourself a full day to drive the Ring of Kerry, giving yourself time to visit Rossbeigh Beach, Valentia Island (accessible via a bridge at Portmagee) and St. Finian's Bay and Skelligs Chocolates www.skelligschocolate.com

After Skelligs Chocolates drive to Ballinskelligs Bay - which is beautiful. Then afterwards if you have time take a trip down to Derrynane House - home of Daniel O'Connell derrynane.com/activities/… This will only take an hour or so to visit but is lovely and the tropical gardens are well worth a look.

Rossbeigh, Valentia, St. Finian's Bay, Ballinskelligs and Derrynane are all off the main tourist trails - the busses don't go there. And for me are the highlights of the Ring.

Allow yourself another day to visit Dingle. Stop off at Inch Beach on the way over. Miles and Miles of white sand. Beautiful. Then drive past Red Cliffs towards Dingle. Dingle town itself is quirky but the Slea Head Drive is beautiful. We discovered last year, the beautiful Cloughan Bay, just 2 minutes beyond Louis Mulcahy's shop in Ballyferriter (its on the left down a short road). This is incredible.

Also on the Dingle Peninsula is the town of Anascaul - home of Ireland's most famous antarctic explorer Tom Crean. His pub, The South Pole Inn, still trades. Just above Anascaul town is Anascaul Lake (follow the signs just beside The South Pole Inn. At times driving up, you think you are going to end up in someone's farm yard and you need to be careful. And make sure you close the gate at the top. But it is lovely.

In terms of the Gap of Dunloe, it is lovely. You can get a jaunting cart or you can drive it. I've posted directions on another thread recently and will link.

Also consider, while in the area, a trip to Kenmare and the Beara Peninsula. I think this would make an easier trip than the Gap of Dunloe.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,299 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

Gap of Dunloe

tripadvisor.ie/…39345429

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

http://www.kerrybogvillage.ie/index.htm

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224312980185.html

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

Clogher/Clothair below Louis Mulchay's is a beautiful spot, you look straight out on to the Blasket Island known as "An Fear marbh"- the Dead man ,or less morbidly the "Sleeping Giant". Not safe to swim off this beach, might be a bit nippy for you in April anyhow!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

Meant to add that you might not get out the Blaskets in April, depending on weather, but the interpretative centre on the mainland is excellent(and I'm not generally a big fan of the places normally.) There is a little book area just inside the door which is run by the owner of the café liteartha and well worth a look-and will whet your appetite for the main shop in Dingle.

Either in Killareny or Dingle you simply must have some Murphy's Icecream, it's made with milk from the rare breed Kerry cows(you'll see the small black cows around Muckross)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,299 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

Thanks Harvey for correcting me!! I was fairly sure I had it wrong :o) But its a beautiful location. I was only looking at the photos that I took there in November, the week before last.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

I cannot seem to find Clogher/Clothair below Louis Mulchay's anywhere on the Web. Help?

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

Try www.dingle-peninsula.ie/beaches.html

Edited: 13 March 2012, 18:49
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days - Itinerary

I was at Clothar on Saturday, There must have been a big storm out to sea because the rollers crashing ashore were enormous. It was majestic