We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to Lough Key?

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Galway to Lough Key?

Hello! I'll be in Galway at the end of July for about a week, and on one of those days we'd love to go up and spend some time at Lough Key Forest Park. We're planning to rent a car and drive, but I just thought I'd check in to see - is this doable? How long would the drive (realistically) be (Google tells me ~2 hours, but is that accurate?), and is there a recommended route? We don't mind time in the car seeing the Irish country! Any other recommendations for the trip would be helpful as well! Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,110 Reviews
from USD 52.40*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
356 Reviews
from USD 46.60*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,336 Reviews
from USD 58.20*
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to Lough Key?

I'd make a day of it if I were you.

Take the M6, N61.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to Lough Key?

Ya its easily done, while going that way you could add in a visit to Arigna Mines, i found it a really interesting tour and some cracking scenery up that way too.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to Lough Key?

Roscommon is one of my favourite areas. It's the typical country drive from Galway too. Lots of green everywhere. lol

Boyle Abbey is well worth checking out just to see the restored stonework. Whilst in Lough Key you can take a boat trip out on the lough and see Castle Island. Abbeyknockmoy Abbey (Abbeyknockmoy) is well worth a look too but I would leave it until you are on the return leg.

irisharchaeology.ie/2012/…

https://goo.gl/6eTg7q ---- This is the route I take, the only thing to watch for is the roundabout coming through Roscommon, maybe have a look at Google Street View.

You'll notice the large statue outside Elphin. This is a more recent example of Ireland's history.

If you can't make it to Lough Key at least go as far as Rathcroghan.

http://www.rathcroghan.ie/

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway to Lough Key?

Thank you for your help and recommendations!! Any chance you could send that map again? The link isn't working for me.

5. Re: Galway to Lough Key?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 14:16