We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming trip

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
de
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming trip

I just had a couple of questions regarding our, hopeful, upcoming trip to Dublin....

What is the weather like in March?

Where is a good place to stay if we cant stay in Dublin? (not too many hotels available. St Paddys day)

Our interests include, the city, scenic and culture.

If we stay outside of Dublin, what would the taxi/bus fares be?

Also, is there any places that you would recommend seeing?

Thank you

Colleen

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming trip

Bray.

10 mins south of the city by frequent train sevice. Including a very late service on the night of the 17th/18th. Plenty going on on the seafront , Touring fair on the Prom.

Bray head is put to flame just to get rid of any snakes which might have sneaked back.

My daughter was over last week & had a great time.

Good Pubs, Good Food, Mighty Craic. all this & genuine Irish hospitality, Somthing which my daughter found lacking in Dublin as she probably would in any major city anywhere (before I upset any more Dubliners than i have already)

A tour of Kilmainham Jail. was also one of her high points. it answered many questions which I choose not to discuss.

3 years ago I walked down the Beach in my T shirt that was though the exception that proves the rule, it will probably be cool & damp.

It is also the last weekend of the 6 Nations rugby so expect some fairly boystrouse behaveor.

de
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming trip

Thank you so much!!

Are there any hotels recommended in Bray? How about Heather House Hotel?

How about horse back riding?

Also, we are celebrating our 5 year anniversary, are there any romantic restaurants someone could recommend?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming trip

Royal Hotel & leisure Centre at the top of town, request a room at the front of the hotel get one above the pool & the air con will keep you awake all night.

The restraunt is v good even if you dont stay.

Esplanade Hotel On The Seafront possibly booked up by now as will be the Woodland,

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming trip

Location for Heather House is good never stayed there but web site impresive. If you are getting there on the 17th get there early the carnival shuts routes around the town for miles.

Dont forget its 6nations final game day so pubs with tv will be busy all over.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
424 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming trip

Sorry Tony: But I couldn't recommend anyone to stay or base themselves in Bray.

I guess you are leaving it a bit late to find a hotel in Dublin for Paddys weekend however try Stillorgan Park Hotel, Bewleys Ballsbridge, Jurys Montrose in Donnybrook. All of these have easy bus access to the city centre and are reasonable quality.

Weather is generally mixed but could be cold, damp and even raining. You should check www.meteireann.ie before you leave so you bring the right clothes.

Taxis are expensive. However there are some hotels around the Red Cow Roundabout or Tallaght (if you are on a tight budget) where you can get the light rail (Luas) into the city: I think the fair is under €2 each way.

Have you checked out bed and breakfast options?

de
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming trip

thank you for your help!

We dont want to stay in a B&B. Husband really doesnt.

We just recently decided on going to Ireland and then remembered that our anniversary is the day after St Paddys. Whoops!

Is there any other locals that you would recommend that would be close to Dublin?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming trip

I stayed at the Lynch Green Isle Hotel last year and found it excellent. I has been refurbished and, although it is on the N7, doesnt suffer from traffic noise as much as you would expect. In any case, being Bank Holiday weekend there won't be the heavy commuter traffic. It's very convenient for access to Dublin. You can get a bus from Newlands Cross and be there very quickly. I checked and it does have availability for that weekend.

…roomex.com/lynch_green_isle_hotel_newlands_…

de
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming trip

Awh, that was sweet! Thank you for your help!

California
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcoming trip

We will be there the same week. We booked a room at Ariel House. www.ariel-house.net

Best,

KC

de
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcoming trip

we ended up booking at the Clontarf Castle.... 3miles away!! Maybe we will see you at the Festival!!

Thank you!