We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Trip Advice

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Trip Advice

My wife and I are looking at traveling to Ireland from NYC with our 6 month old baby. I would like to take the baby to visit family in Wales (Cardiff area) for a few days since we are so close;-) We are looking at taking the Ferry from Roslare to Pembroke, spend maybe 3 days in Wales then take the ferry back and spend another week or so in different parts of Ireland. I plan to hire a car the entire time. I was just wondering if this makes sense or am I overlooking a better way to do this? Thanks!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Trip Advice

As a suggestion, consider arriving Dublin, departing from SNN, Doneraile (local expert) will sort you out with the ferry service.

You could then move to visit West Cork/Kerry, then take ferry to County Clare (www.shannonferries.com), where you can visit the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Loop Head etc, with last night in Shannon, Bunratty or Quin.

www.shannonheritage.com

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Trip Advice

you could look at www.ryanair.com and see if there are any cheap flights that would be easier than getting the boat

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Trip Advice

There are flights to Cardiff from Cork, Shannon, Dublin and Knock.

However with a baby and if you wish to be free to travel around the ferry would be a good idea.

There are three ferry options - Rosslare to Pembroke by standard ferry, Rosslare to Fishguard by standard or highspeed ferry.

irishferries.com/Timetable/gbr_irl.shtml#1b

stenaline.ie/stena_line/stena_line_ireland/r…

You may have problems taking a hire car to Wales, you will have to check with your provider as different firms have different rules.

Pembrokeshire is a lovely county and well worth a visit.

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Trip Advice

Thanks for all of the responses. I had thought about the issues associated with taking a hired car out of the country, it might be more of a problem than it's worth. I was looking at the Aer Arann website and they have some pretty good deals going to Cardiff. I might look at flying from Dublin to Cardiff and then just hiring a car once we get to Cardiff. Then fly back from Cardiff to Cork, which is where we wanted to start our trip in Ireland and spend 2 days ea. in Cork, then the Cliffs of Moher and end up back in Dublin for the last few days.

5. Re: Ireland Trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 12:19