We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August or October

Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
August or October

Hello!

We are planning on a trip to Ireland for our honeymoon next year. We would be able to go in either August (mid august) or October (early October). I am looking for any advice on which time of year would be the best for us to go!

Any and all help is great! And greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

20 replies to this topic
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
43 reviews
11. Re: August or October

It would be October for me. We were in Ireland this past May and it was way too warm for us (DH had to purchase shorts for our Gap of Dunloe day!), we prefer Ireland when it has a better chance of being cooler. We like warm cozy pubs when it is cool outside! Of course you never know what you will get as far as weather in Ireland, as the saying goes, there is no bad weather only bad wardrobe selections!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
12. Re: August or October

For me, too: early October rather than mid August.

If you read through this, you will notice how busy August can be:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18659…

If you could move your dates in August to the last week or ten days of the month,

schools would be getting ready to reopen and it would be that bit more manageable, although still busy.

It would help a lot, if we knew what your interests are.

I looked at a random selection of Heritage sites here and quite a number of attractions close by the end of September:

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
13. Re: August or October

Early October will be relatively ok, days will still be reasonably long , though not as long as in August, of course .

Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
14. Re: August or October

We are interested in outdoor aspects, the pubs, music, the culture, and some of the popular spots like Cliffs of Moher, Newgrange, and The Giants Causeway. We are also going to pop in to Killarney National Park and Connemara National Park.

We will probably stop into a couple of other favorites like the Guinness Storefront and The National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
15. Re: August or October

All the popular attractions mentioned are open for business in October!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
164 posts
18 reviews
16. Re: August or October

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions and assess what kind of traveler you are. Don't factor in the weather to much in your decision. Ireland's weather is so hit or miss that after my 3rd trip I just stopped caring about it that was 15 years ago =).

August is high season, Busses Walkers Bikes Cows and Sheep seem to flood the road even more in summer. If you like crowds then August is a great time to go. The weather can be settled and the days are LONG. Expect people everywhere.

October is a very good month to go September is even better. No crowds, season has wound down and you can still get to all the major attractions like the Aran Islands. The only issue is towards the end of October the clocks get rolled back and you lose a hour of daylight which is huge.

If I had to choose or was making the choice for you I would say go in October. Fall is a good time to go less people less busses and everything is still open.

=)

Edited: 18 November 2018, 13:04
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,485 posts
17. Re: August or October

Whenever you travel, be sure to swing by here.

https://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/

Layton, Utah...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
18. Re: August or October

I went in late October/early November (very recently). It was my first time to Ireland. The time was chosen for me more or less, but in hindsight I don’t feel like it could have been more perfect. The days were short but I don’t feel like I missed anything. I even went to the beach (I was the only person there). The weather was lovely, and nothing was very crowded. At the same time, nothing I wanted to see was closed.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,987 posts
662 reviews
19. Re: August or October

Went in October and it was great for us. Also flights would probably be cheaper.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
352 reviews
20. Re: August or October

If you plan on visiting The Giants Causeway and the Killarney National Park you will be travelling from one end of the country to the other. A long drive even if you are based in Dublin and break these journeys in to two days.

Early October is a lovely time to visit.

Reply to: August or October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted