We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Hello! I just booked roundtrip tickets from Phoenix, Arizona to Dublin for myself, my husband, my parents, and my brother (5 total, all over the ages of 22). My brother and parents have never been out of the country! I've been exploring the forums and doing some research but I'm wondering if anyone has insight. We are traveling Feb4-Feb14. We will arrive early morning Feb 5 and leave early morning Feb 14, which leaves us with about 8 full days, 9 if you include Feb 5 (we plan on seeing some Dublin sights this day after a cat nap!) My question is with this amount of time do you recommend staying in Dublin and doing day trips outside of the city, or should we explore the option of renting a car and doing a road trip? We enjoy pubs, nature, and historical sites. We are open to renting a car and exploring but have also toyed with the idea of staying put in Dublin and taking day trips. Any tips are appreciated!

15 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,270 posts
1. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

First and last night in Dublin.

Rent a car and enjoy three days each in Galway and Killarney.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
919 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Personally I'd go anywhere but Galway or Killarney.

Get your car and discover the south east and south coasts, make sure ye get to a pub on Saturday Feb 9 for the rugby match Scotland v Ireland.

https:/…fixtures-2019.php

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

My dad would love that!! Thanks for the tip

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

I will definitely add those to my list ! Do you think we would have much time to visit many other places? Or is it 3 tops?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Have been to Dublin 3 times and always stayed in central Dublin and made daytrips from there. This is a lovely city with easy access to all major sights via very good HOHO bus and also very easy walkable city. We have done small group day tours to Wicklow, Cliffs of Moher, private daytrip to Belfast, another to Wicklow/Powerscourt, independent trips to Malahide and Kilkenny....all easy and most pleasant. We find having a home base in central Dublin the best option for us since we hate the process and time needed for packing, repacking, checking in and out,

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,373 posts
660 reviews
6. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

With your amount of time go to Belfast a few days and then Northern Ireland and then you could spend some more time in Dublin. Spend first night in Dublin perhaps and last 2 nights in Dublin.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
7. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

With that many days, definitely venture outside of Dublin for much of the trip. South and west would be my choice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Our party of 5 stayed in Dublin for 6 days with daylong bus tours out of the city twice. One to Tara and Newgrange, the other to Giants Causeway and the Carrick a rede rope bridge. We found it to be the right balance and we all fell in love with Dublin.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
188 reviews
9. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

Another vote for selecting another base or two rather than spending all the time in Dublin and making day trips.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
228 reviews
10. Re: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?

In February I think Dublin would be a nice option. You could take your time seeing the city itself and all it has to offer rather than rushing from one sight to the next. You could also take a trip to Kilkenny or up to Belfast in Northern Ireland on the intercity train.

Weather permitting you could take the locals DART train out to Malahide or Howth on the coast north of the city.

If you wanted to do an organised tour you could visit Newgrange which is fascinating and older than the pyramids. You could also take a tour of Glendalough and Wicklow weather permitting.

Absolutely loads to see and do.

Reply to: Dublin as a base for adult group of 5?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted