We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
8 posts
Save Topic
Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Hi there, can anyone help with some advice on two aspects of a planned stag trip to Cork in October? Have seen all the great advice here re. bars, clubs, restaurants etc. just need some pointers on:

1. Decent, stag-friendly, hotels to stay in. (Friday and Saturday night)

2. Some daytime activities we could indulge in for Saturday day, without having to book through a "Stag agency" online who all seem to offer the same things at premium prices! Anything different/unusal we could do apart from quads/karts/golf etc.?? Any local companies we could talk to to arrange stuff?

There are just 8 of us, and we're all pretty much 30+ and a few dads, so pretty chilled out stuff would be good!

All input greatly appreciated.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

I'm not really up on stag stuff, but have you ev er seen a game of hurling? Its a fast, exciting game and even a minor game would be good. Also dog racing makes a good relaxed evening out, presumably there is a track in Cork. Bryno is the expert for Cork, no doubt he will have a few good suggestions.

Hampshire
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Thanks Doneraile, nope, never seen a game of hurling; and that's a great idea. Any idea (URL's) how I might go about checking out fixture lists, match locations in/around Cork? We were looking to do something sporting and at my age watching takes preference over playing!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

I'm afraid making the suggestion is as far as my wisdom goes! No doubt someone with more knowledge of GAA (the governing body for Irish sports - hurling, football, camogie) administration will be able to give you specific advice.

Cork,Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

What Dates in October? We have a film festival and a jazz festival in Cork in October.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

I'm afraid the GAA football and hurling championships end at the end of September so you would be too late to catch one of the main intercounty games. It would really only be local club type stuff on in October so standing on the sideline in the rain might not be too much fun!

The Cork hurling team were recently involved in 2 amazing games with Waterford and the Cork Football team is going well at the moment.

Anyone in Dublin this weekend I would recommend going to Croke Park. Kerry vs Monaghan in Gaelic Football followed by Waterford vs Limerick in hurling. A great day out

Hampshire
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

OK, shame about the hurling; good luck to Cork for the end of season!

BabeR, thanks for response; we're heading in on Friday 5th October, around teatime, then got all day Satuday and Saturday night, then most of Sunday. Looking for entertainment Saturday day, maybe Sunday morning but I had a decent Irish breakfast (suggestions?) and Blarney Castle pencilled in for then.

Having consulted with the stag earlier, he's looking for some element of outward bounds type stuff; any thoughts on that would be good. (He saw my post and wanted to point out we're only in our 30s!)

Hotel info is top priority at the mo, and of course any updated thoughts on decent clubs/bars would be good aswell.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

OK, apologies for misleading you and showing my ignorance!

Take a look at this site

oysterhaven.com/sailing_windsurfing/sailing_…

Its a bit outside cork city, but I doubt you will find adventure sports in the city. Likewise this

…goireland.com/scripts/…premises.htm

And this rather lurid site is quite helpful

http://homepage.eircom.net/~chiriqui/misc.htm

Hope you find something!

Hampshire
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Nice one, will take a look at those. Pete

Hampshire
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Hi all, looks like Bryno is on vacation at the moment; can anyone help me out with the question re. stag-friendly hotels?? Cheers, Pete.

Cork,Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stag weekend in Cork for "old" english guys!

Hi

I am not sure if certain hotels are "stag " friendly or not? I wouldnt be mentioning that you are a stag.. sher you could be a golf outing group, hill walking... dont be advertising that you are STAG... unless they mention that they dont want stag groups.

Jurys Inn in Cork is usually good location for Stag Party as it is only 5 min walk to the City Centre. And if you are arriving at the Cork Airport you can get a City Link Bus right outside the hotel. check out www.jurysdoyle.com or go onto the www.aerlingushotels.com web site and you might be able to get some sort of discount at the same hotel. Jurys do not offer Breakfast with the room but you can buy it there. But there are lots of places in the city offering breakfasts that are probably alot better.

Bryno wont be gone for long, maybe his pc isnt working ?

There is a hotel in the city centre The Victoria Hotel, i know stag parties have stayed here before but i am not sure what its like on the inside, maybe someone else can offer advice.

Check out www.whazon.com , lots of info on Cork.

Other City Centre Hotels are The Clarion, The Imperial Hotel, Gresham Metropole, Jurys Hotel, Western Road(not Jurys Inn).

Hope this helps?

Get answers to your questions about Cork