We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Jacksonville...
3 posts
Save Topic
First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Hi, I am just starting my research for a trip to Ireland. I am flying out of Jacksonville, FL. There are 2 adults only. We want to drive ourselves. We love going off the beaten path and love backroads. Could someone recommend an itenerary for us? We do not require the best facilities to stay in --as long as it is clean. We love to walk and my husband is a photographer. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

sable: You likely just opened up a can of something. Many conflicting notions of what and where is the best in Ireland.

We are going back in May for visit #4 and still cannot say that we have scratched the surface, so do not try to see it all in one trip. Choose a region and enjoy it.

Our opinion is that It's a wonderful country with lots to see and do and you are likely to come away happy no matter where you go.. We are partial to the western areas from Mayo County all the way down to Kinsale. Approx. 2 Zillion Photos Opps along the way.

We are hitting the following this time (research topic suggestions):

* Achill Island / Also check Aran Islands

* Ashford Castle

* Galway

* Connemara Nat'l Park

* Cliffs of Moher

* The Burren

* Adare

* Dingle

* Killarney

* Ring of Kerry

* Torq Watrerfall

* Gap of Dunloe

* Cork

* KInsale

* Blarney (?)

Very many B&B's all around. Check the accommodations ratings here on TA, we have planned numerous vacations just from TA posts.

Enjoy!

Jacksonville...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Oh thanks that was very helpful. I am going to keep doing my research since there is so much to see. It looks beautiful.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Where will you fly in and out of? Define backroads- do you mean grass down the middle and room for one car only or off motorways?If you haven't driven here before, I'd avoid the grass down the middle for the moment!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

I'd say pick a region based on your common interests and plan around that. Then come back and ask some more questions.

Jacksonville...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

All of you have been very kind with your suggestions. I am use to those kind of backroads. I take them all the time. But, I also realize I am out of the country too. Will get back with more details after some more research. Again, thanks.

stanwood, wa
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

One point that will save you a lot of money. Buy liability insurance for your car when you book it and do it in the US. Your credit card won't include liability for Ireland. They charge a huge mark up if you get the liability there.

There's a reason most rentals there are all scratched up on the passenger side - the narrow roads with no shoulders.

Also,my second trip we spent a week in a cottage in Dingle - it was grand. Then the rest of the time visiting various sites. Staying in one place for a while was relaxing and we got to really feel like we were connecting to the area.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

sable, you are in for a treat...it is the most beautiful country on earth, IMHO...the people are amazing and the scenery will take your breath in some places....do you have any places or things in mind that you kind of think you'd like to see/do?.....that would help these folks give you the very best advice possible....let us know, you'll get plenty of ideas for sure...

now, as for the post about liability insurance, i'm not sure what this poster is talking about but when you get to the rental car phase of your planning, post under rental car info and all of your questions will get answered....you will not find "most" rentals scratched up, or dented, etc.......

happy planning.....

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
794 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Hi Sable1941,

I would recommend you to read my trip report posted on April 25th. use the link below to reach it. It describes some of my experiences during my first trip to Ireland

.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k6445821-A_report_on_my_recent_Trip_to_Ireland-Ireland.html

I am sure you will enjoy your trip. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Buy an OSI Map of Ireland....on Amazon or direct from OSI or www.irishnation.com

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers to Ireland, June/July 2014 --staying 10-14days

Also, according to some research online today...if you are OK with independent travel, you can see more, do more and spend more time in Ireland for about 50% of what the packed tours include and cost. It seems like there is a huge premium charged for anyone unwilling or unable to drive in Ireland and for someone else to do the research and booking pieces, and the hand holding thru the deepest, darkest and scariest areas. :-)