We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Greetings!

I had a vehicle reserved through Payless and then as I did my research I found a much better price through Dan Dooley including an extra driver, CDW and SCDW. I originally read of Dan Dooley on another forum based on positive feedback but I've been searching recently prior to paying for it and am seeing a lot of horror stories. Unfortunately most of these posters are those with very few posts and I was hoping for a more seasoned veteran to shed some light on it.

Any folks out there with good or bad things to say about their experience? They tout no hidden service charges but a few reviews say that just wasn't the case?

I'm aware of the various coverages needed in Ireland and am happy with paying for all insurance to avoid any surprises at the end. I just want to make sure there really are no surprises! :)

Thanks,

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

ringmaster, i can tell you that i have used dooley several times and have not been disappointed at all...this past may i paid for everything, including super cdw before i left home....when i picked up the car there were no charges at all other than the fuel in the tank, and when i returned the car full that exact same amount was credited back to my card...

the staff in both dublin (pickup) and shannon (drop off) were very friendly and helpful.....

i have already prepaid for our trip this coming may also...

have a great time....

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

I recommended Dooleys to some German visitors who were here in October. They had no problems whatsoever.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,499 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Dan Dooley do get some bad press on here but only seems to be when taken as part of a package, They are recommended by most people contributing to the Ireland Yes forum and I recommend them based on the opinions of people I know have used them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Oma, Soonas, Tony2 - Thanks for the input. I took the plunge and just went ahead and paid for it. I'll be sure to include it in my after trip report. Now on to bigger concerns... my trip is still a whole two months away and I don't wish to wait any longer!

:)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Yes Dooley gets some quite negative (unforgiveable) reviews, but anyone that has a good experience with them seems to have a very good one.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,005 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

Multiple experiences with them, never a problem.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

I see you have already booked, but I will put in my 2 cents and echo what oma14 has said. We paid in full before our trip--there were no extra charges other than the 'full gas' charge which was refunded promptly when we returned the car. We picked up and dropped off at Dublin airport with no problems what-so-ever. Enjoy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

The car we were given was an old worn out bomb 113,000 Km,Driving at 100k(62 MPH) could not hear radio at full volume let alone talk.Petrol comsumption was awful

This is a second rate car rental firm at best,

We had to pay for tank of petrol(to return empty) which is okay.HOWEVER was short around 7 litre of full .

Cutomer service returning car was terrible.

Dont waste you time go to a proper car rental company

9. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 March 2012, 15:05
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dan Dooley car rental concern. Experience?

I had zero problems with Dan Dooley.

How long were you in town? Did you call to tell them their car wasn't working properly before returning it at the end?