We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mad Cow Disease

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
77 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Mad Cow Disease

Do we have to worry about getting mad cow disease while in Ireland. I notice when I give blood they want to know if we ate meat in UK / Ireland? Whats the story with the beef in the emerald isle?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mad Cow Disease

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Very strict controls were put in place over 10 years. These were effective and have indeed been relaxed in recent years. Irish beef is exported, as a premium product, all over Europe, and further afield. 90% of our production is exported.

If you need any further reassurance let Me know and I can give some weblinks with all the details

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mad Cow Disease

This is a point that really rattles me, but without going into the science I can tell you that the good old Brits were importing Irish Beef because of a basically unfounded fear of eating their own. Beef was the only meat under question, but I can assure you that eating offal from an early age I have suffered no ill effects from that source. It was over a decade ago when the ban on offal and near the bone products was imposed in the UK and only 2 years ago that much of the ban was lifted.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
77 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mad Cow Disease

What about the chickens? Are they safe, also what is ofal

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mad Cow Disease

Chickens are safe as long as they are cooked properly. Offal is the bits that get thrown away these days or used for Pet food, Liver, Kidneys and Heart are more widely eaten. Things like Tripe (Stomach), Elder (steamed Udder), Lites (Lungs) along with Brains and other delicacies are still on the black list. I really miss Tripe and Elder from the local UCP (United Cattle Products) shop with white vinegar and a glass of fresh Green top (none pasteurised) full cream milk. But the wonderful EEC ban everything that's good for you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mad Cow Disease

Driving to the butcher (in any country) to get the beef is far, far more dangerous and more likely to cause an acquired brain injury than eating the beef.

Irish beef is generally free range, grass fed and hormone free. Which is why its considered such a quality product.

Your post is interesting because I'd be more concerned about eating beef in the US than over here, becausewe read over here about the hormones in US beef. You wonder is it all a form of localised marketing to get us to eat our own stuff.

Just about to sit down and have some prime Irish beef for lunch :o)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
77 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mad Cow Disease

I would agree that most of our food supply is probably tainted with hormones and antibiotics. We have noticed that the girls are having their changes earlier and earlier, has to be the meds. Looking forward to some great Irish livestock and fish.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mad Cow Disease

I think Irish beef & chicken have a wonderful flavor. I've seen lots of free-range chickens, during my travels there.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mad Cow Disease

@Tony2phones

Tripe is available in the English Market in Cork if you happen to be down that way.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mad Cow Disease

You will also find eggs on sale on supermarket shelves, rather than in fridges, they are entirely safe to eat because we do not have the endemic salmonella that you have in the US. I buy eggs and keep them in a bowl on the counter, rather than the fridge, and have done for 40 years, we have never had a problem.. (Uncooked chicken is a probelm for salmonella but that is true anywhere).

10. Re: Mad Cow Disease

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:18