We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

We are going to Ireland for two weeks in July. Flying into Shannon, out of Dublin. Guys are playing some golf and would like some feedback on the 'plan'. What would you change:

Day 1: Arrive Shannon. Drive to Killarney. Staying at the Killarney Towers for 1 week. This is the base of the trip. After we arrive, just get our feet on the ground, check in, go to Killarney Nat'l Park.

Day 2: Muckross House and Gardens, Abbey, maybe Ross Castle?

Day 3: Guys play golf at Ballybunion (both courses). Girls...any ideas? We will have a car!

Day 4: Ring of Kerry. Should we drive it backwards? I read that is a good way to avoid tours.

Day 5: Guys play Tralee and then all visit Muckross Traditional Farms

Day 6: Rock of Cashel, Cork attractions. What should we see there? I know about Blarney but that doesn't sound like a 'must see'.

Day 7: Guys play Tralee again (Free w/in a week?) Can we also do the Gap of Dunloe this day?

Day 8: Leave Killarney. Skellig Michael. Which is the best tour? Should we stay in Doolin? Know anything about the Briar Lodge?

Day 9: Lahinch. Cliffs of Moher, Burren? Can this all be done in 1 day?

Day 10: Aran Islands. What is the best to do here?

Day 11: Head to Dublin. Stop and see sights on way. Any suggestions? Staying at Kilronan House?

Day 12: Newgrange/Knowth tour

Day 13, 14: HOHO bus, Trinity College and Book of Kells, other sights. Guys might play Portmarnock if time

Day 15: Back to OK!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Hi, I like this - especially the first few days, nice relaxed pace.

Day 9 - yes, you can do all that in one day. If you stay in Doolin, you could possibly stay there for 3 nights (Days 8-10), if you take a boat to the Arans from there.

Are your husbands playing in Lahinch?

Day 11 - I recommend a visit to Clonmacnoise monastic site, on your drive back to Dublin. It's a short detour off the main Dublin road.

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Would maybe suggest Dingle Peninsula on day 4 as opposed to Ring of Kerry

but thats your choice

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Day 1: Arrive Shannon. Stay in county Clare two/three nights and visit the Arans, Burren - play any of the many golf courses in the county.

Move on for1 week in Kerry / Cork.

Then head to Dublin via Cashel.

Finish off in Dublin with a day trip to Knoth.

Briar Lodge? The only one I know is on the Hill Road midway between Bunratty and Shannon Town...a couple of miles between both (Bunratty West)

It's the way I'd go, it will make the best use of your first day and prevent double tracking (Shannon is in county Clare)...but you may have other ideas:)

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

trintraveler: Yes. Playing Lahinch and anything else they can fit in! Thanks for the Clonmacnoise idea.

KerryEamsKerry: Meant to include Dingle but just didn't know where to fit it in. Should we try to do both? Also, what about the Blasket Islands? That was also on my wish list.

ferdia35: Thanks. the reason we have to backtrack is that 6 of the group are going to London for a few days instead of staying! Go figure! I saw in another post that Cashel is under scaffolding and really not worth going to if it is not on the way. What do you think?

Any great B&B in Doolin? Where do I find info on the Aran Islands trip.

Already we see that we will have to come back to go to Northern Ireland and Scotland (for golf)! But, we girls are not complaining!!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Howarya? :)

Have a look at this B&B:

http://www.seaview-doolin.ie/

If you are visiting the islands; this makes for a good 'add on':

http://www.cliffs-of-moher-cruises.com/

There are a number of services from Doolin pier to Inis Oirr and Mor - both really worthwhile.

I love Cashel - maybe check closer to arrival to see how things are going?

Here are some other aternatives.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

Quin Abbey nearby Shannon Town; while in no way as spectacular as Cashel - is with a visit; it's free and uncrowded (and there's a free guide from an OPW officer)- and might be a nice pit stop on either of your county Clare stints:

clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…quininterest.htm

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

You can do the Dingle Peninsula on your Day 3, by the looks of things.

Dingle town is about a 1hr non-stop drive from Killarney. The stunning Slea Head Drive is west of the town and is a 2.5 hour loop. although this hardly does it justice.

You can take a boat out to the magical Great Blasket from Dunquin, but would need to levae a couple of hours to do this. If you cannot get out to the island, teh Blasket Centre on the mainland is worth a visit

http://www.blasketislands.ie/daily/?id=9

heritageireland.ie/en/…

I presume the golfers have their itineraries set up, but Europe's most westerly golf course is on the very tip of the Dingle Peninsula, and stunning

http://www.dinglelinks.com/

General information here

www.dodingle.com

As regards the Rock of Cashel, only one side has scaffolding in place, and while this somewhat spoils the view from the old Dublin-Cashel road, there are many vantage points around the rock to get an uninterrupted view. The scafffolding does not impede enjoyment of the moinument itself, once you get up there.

As regards County Cork, you consider a visit to Gougane Barra, a haven of peace nestled a way in the woods

http://www.gouganebarra.com/

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Here's a Cashel photo from the "bad" side

www.flickr.com/photos/irisheyes/4884943077/

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

When we went to Cashel in September, I did not think the scaffolding impeded my enjoyment at all. If you are interested in history and monumental ruins, then go. I am usually glad when I see scaffolding like that, because it means that the monument is being taken care of, and will be better once it is finally down.

Regarding the Gap of Dunloe, we did a great all day tour. Several tour operators in Killarney do this tour, we used Deros tours. You start on a bus to the cottage, take jaunting cars or walk through the gap (we were glad we did not walk, it is probably a couple hour hike), and then after you buy and eat lunch, you get on a boat and have a one hour boat ride back across the lakes to Ross Castle where the tour bus will pick you up and take you back to your lodging or drop you off in town if you want. The scenery all along the way was spectacular. The tour lasted from 10 until 4 or so.

I also enjoyed Blarney Castle, again worthwhile if you are interested in history and castles. It is a ruined castle but you can climb up and down all the winding stairs and go into the different rooms that are still extant. The grounds are also huge with a beautiful garden called the "Rock Close".

Personally, I liked the Dingle peninsula drive more than the Ring of Kerry drive, and it is shorter.

Whatever you decide, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time.

OKC, OK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Thanks for all your suggestions. As I looked at b&b in Doolin, I found they are all already booked for the days in July we need. Is there another place we should stay? Maybe another city or just outside Doolin? I had no idea we would need to book this far ahead. What about tours? Do you think we should book now?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 day itinerary: Comments, help?

Hi

Did Ireland in mid October,,,I agree head out to Dingle and do the Dingle Peninsula as I did both the Ring of Kerry and we did the opposite way to the tour buses and luckily they were either off road or dining when we passed them. I wasn't that impressed witht the Ring of Kerry as I was with the Dingle Peninsula. The road around the ring was not well made and I felt like I was riding a bucking horse most of the time. There is also road works going along the road here and there to widen it and improve it.

I found Dingle Peninsula had more breathtaking scenery than the Ring of Kerry and especially around Slea Head drive out to the most westerly place in western Europe.

I do think that you'd need a 2 night stop over to appreciate this area. We stayed in Pax Guesthouse which has great ratings and magnificent views.

See my review with others

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g211861-d…

Also if you are going to Cork, I would drive the extra 25 mins south to Kinsale. This is a lovely little town on a harbour. It is called the Gourmet capital of Ireland. Many restaurants, pubs and a lovely harbour. We had a nice two bedroom cottage with views of the harbour for 3 nights...see my traveler list about Kinsale. I really loved this area and you could drive back into Cork when necessary. Or just go for the drive out to it if time. We bypassed Blarney as I have seen better castles and I really enjoyed the Rock of Cashel even though it was under repair in places. Cahir the next town also has one of Irelandsargest castles.

Really enjoyed Ireland.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23209-Part_…