We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
895 reviews
Save Topic
Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

We will be in Killarney on Thursday. We thought of taking a taxifromhe town center to Muckross house, seeing the outside of the house, and then somehow getting a jaunting car ride around the Gap of Dunloe. I am unsure if we can do this from Muckross house or do we have to go to Kate Kearney cottage? Also are jaunting cars readily available? What is the best way to do this as it is close to the date and I have limited time in this area. Thank you for your help.

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
673 reviews
from USD 80.90*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
540 reviews
from USD 56.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,203 reviews
from USD 62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,056 reviews
from USD 68.50*
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

As far as I know you will have to go to Kate Kearney's cottage to do the Gap of Dunloe and the road to the cottage issort of in the opposite direction to Muckross House.

I think there are some tour companies who do day tours of the Gap of Dunloe, across the lake and Muckross house so that may be an option instead.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Thank you.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,591 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Scubamel is right there are jaunting cars at Muckross House and there are more at Kate Kearneys cottage which is about 8 miles away in a different direction.

Best thing to do is to take a jaunting car at one of these locations as the cars do not travel between both locations.

For me I would do the one at Muckross House over to Torc waterfall, the trip is shorter yet very scenic. After 15 mins sitting in a hard jaunting car with minimal suspension you will be glad you did the shorter trip. I think the trip from Kate kearneys up to the gap and back would be agony !!

The trip from Muckross House gate over to Torc should only take about 20 minutes one way. The other one could take 45 mins one way.

Jaunting cars are as readily available as the kind of day that's in it.

Edited: 13 July 2010, 06:05
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

I'm assuming from your post that you will not have a car and will need to hire a taxi to take you to and from Muckross or to and from Kate Kearney's. The one to Kate's would cost a pretty penny and so to Muckross would be your best option. Have the taxi driver drop you at the first/main/pedestrian entrance to Muckross House as that will make for a cheaper fare. From here take a jaunting cart along the lake, past Muckross Abbey and up the tree lined drive to Muckross House. You can tour the house, have a bite to eat in the restaurant and pick up some well priced items in the gift shop. If time is on your side you can tour the Traditional Farms or walk out past the old boat house to the waterfall Bryno mentioned. You can have someone at the gift shop call you a taxi back into town.

But you may just be better off taking a guided tour of the Killarney Highlights with Dero's Tours. It is a 3 hour tour on the afternoon that takes in the Gap of Dunloe and Muckross (and others) and for E17 it would be cheaper than trying to do it by taxi. http://www.derostours.com/local.html And so in the morning for your jaunting car ride you can get one from town (by the International Hotel) to take you through the park and down to Ross Castle by the lake. Negotiate with them first if they will allow you time to tour the castle or take a boat out on the lake.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Thank you for that info. The Killarney Highlights looks like a good tour that may have everything that we would like to see. Thank you for your help. We are a group of 5 so I thought that the taxi ride may not be too bad, but I will contact this company. Thank you.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

we are planning on hiring a jaunting car in a few weeks for our honeymoon on our first afternoon in killarney. we are young so I don't think I'd mind the longer kate's cottage trip. Which one (Kate's or Muckross) is more scenic? What is a good price to negotiate for each of these trips? Do they allow you to stop and take photos at all?

Also, how would I go about hiring a boat if we took the jaunting car from kate's cottage or Muckross?

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Makisupa, The Gap of Dunloe is best explored on foot. The terrain is rather bumpy on a jaunting car. If you were to do the full Gap of Dunloe tour than the jaunting car works well for getting you from Kate's to Lord Brandon's in a decent time but I would not go to the Gap just for the sake of hiring a jaunting car. You are better off driving out to Muckross House, parking at the house and hiring a jaunting car from in front of the house. Have them take you to the abbey, back towards the house by the lake and over to the Waterfall. Since there are only two of you (I'm assuming you are not bringing extras on your honeymoon) it will be more difficult to negotiate a cheaper price per person and I cannot say what they would charge but yes they will give you time to stop and take photos and I guess the higher agreed upon price the more time they will give you.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

thanks for the advice tony....so if we were to walk the gap how much time should I budget for that? muckross sounds like a nice option for sure

Edited: 14 July 2010, 01:00
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

tony,

I just read through the killarney highlights tour from dero and it looks pretty great. do you actually get to spend some significant time in the gap or is it rushed?

I'd only ever seen the 'gap tour' from them which leaves at 1030am (too early for us as we are coming from kinsale that same morning). since the killarney highlights tour leaves 4 hrs later at 14:30 I assume we shouldnt have any major problems making that tour on time (we are staying at fairview guesthouse in killarney). you think this is a better option for us vs. driving ourselves to muckross house?

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help! Leaving in 2 days...gap of Dunloe

Hi Makisupa, The Killarney Highlights Tour works better for people who do not have a car or for those with very limited time in Killarney. The tour lasts about 3 hours but covers quite a bit of Killarney so not much time to delay at any one place. And so for those without a car and with limited time, such as Angeleyes, it does give a taste of what Killarney has to offer. Since you have a car, it would not really seem necessary to have someone drive you around to those sites. Not sure how long you have in Killarney but I would suggest you head to Muckross after your drive in from Kinsale and enjoy that area, parking at the house and hiring a jaunting car if you chose. The next day, if you have a full day in Killarney I would suggest you take the full Gap of Dunloe Tour with Deros or other company. You could go with the cheaper option of E30 (that does not include horse or jaunting car) and hike throught he gap to Lord Brandon's. Pack a lunch and enjoy it on the way or at the picnic tables at Lord Brandon's. And if you just want to drive yourself to the Gap and walk: it would take about 20 minutes to drive out there from Killarney and you can park at Kate Kearney's. I believe it is 4 miles up to the top of the gap from there but a 20 minute walk in should have you seeing the 'inside' of the valley.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 09:31