We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in January?

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
16 reviews
Where to go in January?

My (adult) daughter and I are trying to plan a trip for this coming January, and she wants to see Ireland. The problem is, I'm not sure how much there is to do in Jan, as when I've previously looked at going to Ireland I was planning for summer and a lot of it was outside.

We'd have about 14-15 days for the trip, including travel days. I figure we'd want to spend some time in Dublin, but I don't know how much. We're mainly interested in history and nature, but I'm not sure there's much nature that's good to visit in Jan. Are there interesting day trips from Dublin? I saw one suggestion for a coastal walk, and I'd like to visit Newgrange.

Is the weather approximately similar to London? We've been to London several times in Jan, but then we do mostly museums and theatre. We haven't had too many days where walking out in nature seems like the best thing to do.

When planning before, I was looking at staying in/near Doolin for part of the time for the Cliffs of Moher, but I don't know it that's a good plan for January. Maybe some in Dublin and some in Galway? Any other suggestions for good winter spots?

Ideally we could do the trip by public transport, but I'm willing to hire a car if we have to. I have plenty of experience driving in winter here, and no trouble with a manual transmission.

I've also considered splitting the time between London and Dublin. Or maybe just give up on Ireland and the UK and go to southern Spain...

Thanks for any advice.

28 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,521 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Where to go in January?

Any other suggestions for good winter spots? - Spain sounds nice ...

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
1 review
2. Re: Where to go in January?

Coming to Ireland for two weeks in January is a gamble. It could pay off or you could find yourself in horrible weather, or snowed in (we don't deal well with snow!). If you do decide to come I would suggest you concentrate on towns so that you have indoor stuff to do if the weather is bad, but can still take day trips out if it is good. Stick with the bigger places - Dublin, Galway, Limerick and take each day as it comes.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Where to go in January?

The only real issue I see with travel in the dead of winter in Ireland is the short days and cold weather. If it's your first trip then I would say wait till you can come in April or September ideally.

I would hate to dissuade anyone from going to Ireland but Ireland in the dead of winter ugh.

It's not even like you're going for Christmas. It's January I just don't can't see an up side. If it was you 2 or 3rd trip then maybe but not for your first time.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 07:52
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
284 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Where to go in January?

Ireland in winter can be spectacular, but Doolin wouldn’t feature for me .

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,462 posts
5. Re: Where to go in January?

If you do come in January, be sure to source tickets for Gatsby at the Gate.

https://www.gatetheatre.ie/

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Where to go in January?

Thanks. I know the weather's not likely to be good. (Although it's not always that bad in the UK coming from IL...)

If we go to Ireland, I'm thinking a week in Dublin and a week somewhere else. Daughter suggested Belfast (I know that's Northern Ireland), or Cork. I'm not sure there's that much to do in Cork though. I'll look into Galway and Limerick.

Or I suppose we could do a week in London and a week in Dublin. (Or I guess a week anywhere in Europe once we start flying...)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,080 posts
388 reviews
7. Re: Where to go in January?

If I had a choice between Ireland and Southern Spain in January I know which one i'd choose, but I'm much too patriotic to write it here ;-))

If you've not been to Malaga, I recommend it with must do day trips to Cordoba, Seville and Granada.

If you want to do Ireland for 14 day choose three base camps and day trip from each. Those with the best day trip options are Dublin, Cork, Galway, Killarney. Three days in each would be great with with any extra days devoted to Dublin, so you get to see all the museums there.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Where to go in January?

maybe a day in Dublin, to get adjusted to the time difference.....then split your time between Galway and Killarney....both easily gotten to by public transportation.....and plenty to occupy your time in both places and if offered in January, plenty of day tours from both, then end back in Dublin for your last day and night?.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Where to go in January?

"If I had a choice between Ireland and Southern Spain in January I know which one i'd choose, but I'm much too patriotic to write it here ;-)"

LOL - Spain was my idea. Daughter really wants to go to Ireland. Maybe she figures if we put it off we'll never get there. Could be, we've been talking about going to Northumberland for about 8 years but keep putting it off because we want to go in summer.

oma14, why do you say Galway and Killarney over Dublin? I would have thought there would be the most to do in Dublin in winter? That's why I had a week there - it looks like there's a lot to do. (It certainly gets more guidebook pages!)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Where to go in January?

bigm, I didn't mean not to do Dublin if that's what you want to do....LOL....you could split your time evenly between the 3 and be fine......just thought Galway would be enjoyable for your daughter, and Killarney has tons of things to see and do.....of course the decision is yours but 1-2 days is my max for the crowded city, with tons of traffic but if it's your thing absolutely do it..... :-)

Reply to: Where to go in January?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted