We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Hi we will be in Isle of Skye for two days (3 nights). Please suggest some places to visit and things to do during these two days. We love easy/moderate walks/trekking and exploring nature.

13 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,692 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186216…

have a look at Courtney's excellent trip review

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

With two days, if of interest, see the link to my own ideas/photos from many visits to Skye, outlining what I'd call the 'Best of Skye' .Your priorities, to me, should be doing the Trotternish coast loop drive plus some short walking if possible and driving down to Elgol to do the Coruisk boat trip, if weather is up to it. If you can fit in Neist Point too, which you should be able to, all the better. Fairy Pools, Dunvegan Castle are all possible too but you'll need to see how time goes - it's a big island and though there are some fairly fast roads, many are single track and slow.

https://wp.me/p4QqFa-2qI

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

ScotlandMac's advice is, as always, very good. My only addition would be to shoot for the Elgol trip on your first full day. When we went to Skye, we planned it for our last full day and it didn't work out. When we left Portree in the morning, the weather was fine but we had no idea that it was super windy down in Elgol and they had cancelled the boat trips for the day. We had no more days left in our itinerary and had to skip it, which broke my heart. So try to do it first so that if weather is bad, you can try again the next day. And if possible, try checking weather down in Elgol before starting the drive out there.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

I would suggest a trip to Dunvegan for Coral Beach walk and then Neist Point on one of the days and then second day head for Elgol and a walk up to Loch Corruisk!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Thank you all for your guidance.

I have prepared itinerary as under taking inputs from all of you. Please let me know if this is doable.

We will be leaving Oban to Skye on 17th Aug early morning around 7.30 am. On the way, we are planning to take Route number 1 shared in some other post by Scotlandmac covering Fort William, Commondo Memorial, Loch Lochy, Loch Cluanie, Glen Sheil, Eilean Donan Castle, Kyle of Lochalsh, Dunvegan Castle, Neist Point.

Most of these are might be just photo stops (due to time constraints). If we reach early, then we would like to spend more time at Dunvegan for Coral Beach Walk and at Neist Point. This route is around 200 miles and I am not sure if I am able to cover all these places. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

On 18th, we have tentatively booked for Misty Isle Boat Trip at Elgol at 9 am. Scotlandmac suggested Coruisk boat trip. If this is different/preferred over Mistly Isle Boat trip?

After this boat trip, we are planning to walk up to Loch Corruisk. as suggested by Kelvin T. Please let me know where to park the car after driving from Elgol to start this walk? Are there any car parking places available?

I am planning to drive to Sligachan for a 30 minutes walk towards the mountains behind the old bridge. I read this somewhere. Then, if time permits, I intend to visit Fairy Pools on 18th.

On 19th, I have prepared the plan based on Courtney's trip shared by fuchsia2014. Please provide your suggestion:

Old Man of Storr > Brothers Point > Kilt Rock Point > Quairaing > Skye Museum of Island Life > Duntulm Castle ruins > Fairy Glen > Potree

Please guide me if any changes to be made. Your help would be much appreciated!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

I think you’re a bit confused about the boat trip. The Misty Isle boat takes you from Elgol- where you’ll park your car - to Loch Coruisk. The walk from the jetty where you’ll be dropped off to Loch Coruisk is only a few minutes. You could walk from Elgol to Loch Coruisk but no point if you’ve already booked the boat. It can be a tricky walk anyway with a bit of scrambling.

If you’re going walking from Sligachan you can keep going over the hill and walk to the Fairy Pools. It’s not too far and will mean you don’t need to try to find a parking space like those who drive there

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Yes these places are just photo stops en route to Skye - though Fort William itself isn't worth stopping in as such.Even Glen Shiel is largely about driving through (and Loch Lochy too) though there are spots to stop off and take photos.

If you are concerned about tiredness with all that driving, then look at the Mallaig ferry which cuts the road driving by 50 miles or so.Takes the same time overall but is less tiring.That might mean you enjoy your visit up to Neist and Dunvegan as it's a bit of a haul(and back to..?) all the way up there on Day 1.

Your quickest route to Dunvegan is to take the left fork at Sligachan and drive up via Loch Bracadale (also, to me, the more scenic route).

You will be within 15 mins drive of the Fairy Pools as you pass the turn off at Drynoch.If it's after 3pm it might be worth considering whether you have the energy to see them, as parking should be a little better then.But you will already have put in a lot of mileage, albeit through tremendously impressive scenery.

As thegoodwitch says, the boat trip will take you into Loch Scavaig, drop you off and then a short walk (can be very muddy) takes you to Loch Coruisk.The easy way in:)

There are two boat operators - Misty Isle and Bella Jane - both are good and run at different times so quite a few trips going out each day.

Otherwise, your plan looks fine.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Hi anything you recommend us to do in Dunvegan and Neist Point. Most likely we will reach Dunvegan by 3 pm tomorrow. Since we will be staying overnight tomorrow at Dunvegan, we will have few hours of time to visit both these places. Kelvin T suggested earlier Coral Beach walk in Dunvegan. Any other suggestions

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
715 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Do I understand that you're asking for online advice about destinations for a trip you're already in the middle of?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Isle of Skye

Yes Mark. This is last minute questions. Apologies! I understand that there are walks both in Dunvegan and Neist Point, which I am planned to take. Any other suggestions, welcome.

Thanks everyone for contributing in making this wonderful vacation. Yesterday, we had great time in Glencoe and trekked in Lost Valley and a walk in Glencoe Lochan. Now enjoining the road through Skye!

Reply to: Itinerary for Isle of Skye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted