We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

I've been looking for the answer to this question in many places online and have a few answers but would appreciate more info if anyone can help. I am a knitter, spinner and weaver and always look for yarn, wool and sheep where I travel. Would love to find some yarn and wool from Orkney sheep to take home with me. And would also love to see sheep or even a sheep farm if there is one to visit. I am making a list of the places to possibly stop at to find and see these things. Here's what I have so far:

- Quernstone in Stromness - carries Orkney Angora

- Simply Wool or Orkadian Crafts in Kirkwall

- Sanday - Orkney Angora (not sheep but it's yarn!)

- North Ronalday - Woolen Mill & seaweed eating sheep

Are there other places that I should look for? I am not sure that we will make it both to North Ronaldsay or Sanday, so if there are other yarn or fiber related places to visit, I would love to know about them. My husband and I will be based near Stromness for 4 days in early September.

Thank you for all the helpful posts in this forum, it's given so much helpful input to planning our trip.

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

You will find Orkney yarn for sale at the Orkney Wine shop next to the Italian Chapel and also at The Fossil and Heritage Centre in Burray. This is all wool from North Ronaldsay sheep raised by Theresa on her own family island of Auskerry.

Hope this helps

Pat

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

Thank you - I never would have thought of looking for yarn in a wine shop! Great info, and very helpful.

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

Hi, You can find North Ronaldsay yarn at

R.A Finn

12 Victoria St, Kirkwall, orkney isles, KW15 1DN. They carry not only yarn but wine and beer making supplies plus Body Shop products, and of course yarn. They also carry some knitted products.

If you are here for County Show weekend, the North Ronaldsay Trust will have a tent at the show and you should be able to purchase yarn there and other items made from the wool of that terrific breed there.

It is seriously worth a trip to North Ronaldsay while you are here as it is a most pleasant and peaceful place.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

I've added that place to my list. I do hope to visit North Ronaldsay if we can. Would you suggest the plane or ferry? I know the plane is much quicker but I imagine the ferry could be scenic. And I'd have all that time to knit!

When is the County Show Weekend? The only event that I could find that will happen when we are visiting is the Science Festival.

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

The ferry ride is LONG!! and there is only approx one ferry per week - so check the times carefully!

Flying is by far the best option for visitors.

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

County Show weekend is always the 2nd weekend in August.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

thanks - I checked it after your message. It is on a day that I had earmarked for "island hopping" but less time on a ferry means more time for exploring. So it will probably be a flight for us if we go.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

Just wanted to update in case anyone else is looking for yarn and fiber. I found it almost everywhere on Mainland! Many shops had just a basket with some skeins. The shop in Evie had a really nice selection of fiber, though she said she was low on the dyed N. Ron yarn. I never got to the Quernstone to my dismay, but did get to RA Finn's in Kirkwall. And I stopped at the place near the Italian Chapel, though by that time I had the yarn I wanted. I also enjoyed seeing sheep everywhere.

If you'd like to read more about my sheep and yarn spotting, here's my blog entry; …blogspot.com/2013/09/britain-extra-fiber-an…

And thank you for all your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

Hi..I would recommend calling THE WOOLSHED in Eviehttp://www.woolshed-orkney.co.uk/Tel 01856 751305

which doesnt feature on your list here.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to find Orkney Sheep, Wool and Yarn

I did visit the Woolshed - forgot to mention that. Driving from the south, it is a little bit past the signs for Evie, we thought we missed it but then saw the signage. Got some spinning fiber there. I only wish I had more room in our luggage to get a sweater's worth!

Get answers to your questions about Orkney Islands