We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring UK by Rail

Brevard,NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Touring UK by Rail

Am planning to visit UK with wife in Sept/Oct '15 on a Great Britain by Rail trip. Beginning in London we would travel clockwise up to Inverness and back to London. We would like to take a sidetrip when we get to Inverness and take the train to Thurso, cab to Scrabster and ferry to Mainland Island Orkneys for 2 days or so and then resume the rail tour back in Inverness. Any suggestions or comments on this proposed undertaking. How difficult is it for 67 year olds to carry our wheeled luggage from the train to the loding for any given night?

4 replies to this topic
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Touring UK by Rail

did you ever get any information about your trip plans to Orkney? We are trying to make the same trip this summer and am wondering if it is too much to attempt?

Brevard,NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Touring UK by Rail

Marlene- I guess it depends upon what your other plans and itinerary allows. You can go,by plane to Glasgow

Edinburg or wherever. The entire northern coast is, to,me, captivating. From the Orkneys and Shetlands over wesr to the outer Hebrides. Never been so,looking forward to it. FWIW, I am currently working with Adeo Travel in the UK trying for,firm up travel,plans. Adeo Travel and its agent, Darryl Walters is written up favorably in quite a few Trip Advisor reviews. Lemme know how you do.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,714 posts
478 reviews
3. Re: Touring UK by Rail

>>>Any suggestions or comments on this proposed undertaking<<<

The Thurso side trip is not a difficult trip to organise. Are your other plans an organised rail tour?

>>>How difficult is it for 67 year olds to carry our wheeled luggage from the train to the loding for any given night?<<<

As a minimum, you will have to lift your bags on to the train and place them in the appropriate luggage area. Much depends on your levels of fitness and the size/weight of the bags. For European rail travel, it's important to keep this manageable. If you find it difficult you will struggle, so load up a bag at home and try a few practice runs before you travel. I usually take a bag up and down the stairs in my home a few times to try and see what it feels like. If it's too heavy and unwieldy, it stays at home.

Edited: 22 March 2015, 23:59
Brevard,NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: Touring UK by Rail

Thanks for the response. The overall trip would be with Adeo Travel, name of tour is Great Britain by Rail.

15 nights. Goes from London up to,Scotland and back to London. Many many good reviews on T/A about Adeo Travel. We are good about heaving our luggage up into the overhead bins on aircraft so guess we can handle the train.

Reply to: Touring UK by Rail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thurso