We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thurso to Tongue

Corby...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thurso to Tongue

Hello all,

Ii am planning a two week trip to Scotland in August. The first week will be spent in the Lowlands and I will be based in Glasgow. However during the course of week two I'd like to go on a coach tour of the Highlands. In addition to that, I'd quite like to stop of and pay a brief visit to the village of Reay and then onto Tongue to see Varrich Castle. However, I am a bit unsure how to do this as I understand bus services are infrequent given the rural setting we're dealing with.

I'd be grateful if anyone who knows the area could give me some advice on the best way forward. Is a train from Glasgow to Thurso advisable, staying in Thurso overnight? Is it best to do Thurso - Reay - Tongue by bus or by cab?

I'm taking a fair bit of cash with me so I don't really have any budgeting restrictions.

Thanks,

Matt.

7 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thurso to Tongue

True there are not going to be buses every few minutes in an area which is not densely populated.

travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/enterJo… covers train, bus, ferries, so should tell you how good/bad your options are.

You could, of course, hire a car in Inverness and that would solve a number of restrictions. Or perhaps in Thurso. But you look like you don't want a car.

travelinescotland.com/pdfs/…HIAO073.pdf (Thurso, Reay, Tongue) - not really well-connected from your perspective. Saturday seems better than midweek.

I've walked the hills in this area and public transport is a bit of a pain.

I suspect your best bet is to find a local taxi company and arrange a hire in advance, otherwise it could get expensive.

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thurso to Tongue

Looks like the Postbus has been replaced by Stagecoach with only one bus each day .http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_47029_73%2074%2078%2079A-C%20X99%20173%20178%20179%20274%20Caithness.pdf...

I was in Tongue and walked to the castle last month....lovely views

Enjoy!

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thurso to Tongue

You could also speak to these guys.......

http://transportfortongue.co.uk/

Corby...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thurso to Tongue

Thanks guys. After further planning I've decided to take in Culloden battlefield on the way up to Thurso, which also breaks up and cheapens the train journey from Glasgow as I will be staying in Inverness for the night.

Thank you for your suggestions...I think the best option may well be to hire a cab. It might work out to be more expensive than a bus but it won't be as restrictive. I appreciate your help :)

Matt.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Thurso to Tongue

Hmmm taxis will be expensive I believe the going rate is about £40 thurso to wick which is 20 miles. Tongue is twice the distance and you are going both ways. If you can drive a rental car is definitely the best way. There are other things to check out on the north coast on the way west from thurso, awesome harbours at sandside (by reay), skerray and talmine (past tongue), amazing beaches at melvich, strathy and bettyhill...

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thurso to Tongue

"Varrich Castle" is not a castle but a rather small folly; its setting is undeniably picturesque, but if you are expecting something substantial you may well be disappointed. Best "attraction" in Tongue (aside from climbing Ben Loyal) is the beach at Coldbackie which is superb and even has some sea caves. Can be dangerous to swim off though, as the currents are strong.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thurso to Tongue

"Varrich Castle" is actually a rather small folly. While its situation is undeniably picturesque, if you are expecting something substantial you may well be disappointed. The best "attraction" in Tongue (aside from climbing Ben Loyal) is the beach at Coldbackie which is superb and even has some sea caves. Not good for swimming though, the offshore currents are very strong.

Reply to: Thurso to Tongue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thurso