We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Include or Exclude Thurso

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
691 posts
60 reviews
Include or Exclude Thurso

We are planning a pretty full 14 day trip to Scotland that will start in Edinburgh and include stops in Glasgow, Harris, Lewis, Inverness, Mull. Glen Nevis and the castle tour area. We were wondering about whether we should include Thurso or if that would be too much in 14 days.

We also were wondering what the main attractions to the Thurso area of Scotland are as it seems a bit distant from other points. Our interests vary but clearly include historical buildings/castles and natures beautiful sites such as can be seen thoughout Scotland.

Appreciate posters comments about Thurso.

Oregon
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
31. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

I agree, the JOG to Orkney is quite small. Better chance with a bigger vessel. I am rather uncomfortable witth the boat yawing, however I live in a floating home!! Yes it does move, but is large and heavy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,482 posts
78 reviews
32. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

Enough about Thurso, please. Let it go guys.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,882 posts
396 reviews
33. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

"Enough about Thurso" oh and.........lol sorry couldn't resist ;-)

Royal Berkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
142 reviews
34. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

Thurso is far too far from Edinburgh by car for a 14 day trip...the last 3 hour drive from Inverness is fine if you have a reason to go there but unless you are fishing, shooting , chasing ancestors or travelling to Orkney I don't think you will find it is worth the effort on a realtively short trip. Scottish roads are not like American highways especially in the pouring rain. That being said there are some wonderful really ancient monuments, old harbours, a stunning ruined castle on the outskirts of Wick two and a half decent places to eat . John o' groats to be avoided at all costs...honestly its a waste of time. Go to the heritage museum in Wick instead then Dunnet Head for the force of the wind.

I suggest you go either East coast OR West coast and enjoy half of what you have planned without getting exhausted...decide what you really want to see/do and post again.

Hope this helps.

Wells, Somerset
Level Contributor
34 posts
35. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

Glasgow - you could well fll 5-6 days: the Burrell collection would take a day, for a start, and you could spend at least one day on a Charles Rennie Macintosh trail if you're into that sort of thing. Glasgow School of Art, and the buildings of Alexandert "Greek" Thomson.... might or might not be of interest to you, but there's lots there.

St Andrews is lovely, not only, or in my view even mainly, for the golf but for the fact that it's a very small city, you can easily walk round it and it's steeped in history - see the university (a hundred years older than Edinburgh's) and the ruined cathedral, you can also walk along the beach, preferably eating an ice-cream from Janetta's, one of Scotland's well-known Italian ice-cream families

Royal Berkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
142 reviews
36. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

P.S. The little ferry that goes from J.o'G to the Orkneys if fabulous fun but busy in the summer, the big boat from Scrabster is a 'big boat from Scrabster' and fine. All irrelevant for an American spending 2 weeks in Scotland. If they really need to to Orkney on this trip they should fly shouldn't they?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
10 reviews
37. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

we do have an airport up North, would it be an option for you to fly from Edinburgh up to Wick for a night or 2?? you could still fit in your Orkney day trip but save yourself some driving time??

Aberdeen to Wick is a 40 min flight, and you can also fly direct from Aberdeen to Orkney.

38. Re: Include or Exclude Thurso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Thurso