We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Troon to Thurso

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Driving from Troon to Thurso

Hi there, everyone. I was hoping to drive from Troon to Thurso in a day in April 2013. I'm used to long drives, but was wondering if google maps was being optimistic when it claimed six hours? Also would it be likely that there would be issues on the road, for example, ice? I'm guessing not in April but honestly have no clue!

3 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Troon to Thurso

I would use viamichelin.co.uk for more accurate information. According to it the journey would take 6 hrs 41 minutes without stopping. The route is by and large on main roads so this is a pretty accurate starting point. However, the A9 can be very tricky if you get stuck behind something slow moving like a caravan as there are long stretches of it which are single carriageway and dangerous to overtake- this road has one of the highest accident rates in the country due to this issue. So take your time and build in breaks along the way.

There should not usually be snow but it is never guaranteed, we have definitely had snow in April before!

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,600 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Troon to Thurso

If you have the time, I would go on the westerly route, via the Erskine Bridge, Loch Lomond, Fort William, Great Glen, then along the north-west coast.

Much more scenic. Allow 2-3 days.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Troon to Thurso

I agree with Peterscot and having completed this journey several times over the past 3 years, with all the spectacular scenery, I believe it will be difficult not to stop along the way. However, my route differed in that on reaching Inverness, I took the Black Isle route up the east coast.

Reply to: Driving from Troon to Thurso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thurso